skye

Ex-batt/ex-barn rescue 21 November Surrey... pics thread!

Yay, well done Slim! When will you found out if you've got the job? You're getting an incredible number of eggs and glad they all had a quiet night!

Gotmy, what a cutie! I can't believe how her comb is colouring up so quickly! How is the one with the weak leg?

Lydia, Sky, Becky, Poached, Scrambled, Rhapsody... any news? Hope all is well with your ladies.

As for my girls, I've written a Peace Treaty and expect them to sign it tomorrow :D Whilst R&S FR this afternoon, I let T&U explore the whole run. Sophia hung around outside and made quiet, curious goosey honks through the mesh to Tallulah, who ignored her so that was it - Roxy was too busy digging in the leaves to even look back! And she gave us her 2nd biggest ever egg this morning :) Tallulah is still shy, Ursula is still the forward one, nibbling crumbs out of my hand and pecking at my trousers! They both cheeped a lot at dusk and Ursula led Tallulah to bed (with a little guidance from me - the torch trick didn't work). Two !eggcream! in the nest box - and they've gone to bed there again tonight... oh well, at least they're happy :) Their poo is much less smelly and green - but their feet are slightly blue, as they've been digging away in the blue hardwood chips :D And their combs are definitely pinker tinged with red.

Phew! Peace at last! Wishing us all a quiet night.

Sadly I don't really get to see mine much in the week :( Time I get home they're tucked up in bed. I have to say I've been a bit concerned because of the weather which has been VILE, but they seem fine - eating for England (sure my ex-batts didn't eat this much :D ) And four eggs today. Very impressed with those that have integrated theirs already - my ex barns will stay as a group together about a month before I put them with the big girls. Next weekend I'll let the barn girls free range whilst the big girls are in the walk in run, then weekend after they can free range together - it would be a bit quicker if we had the evenings as well but there you go. Will try for more photos at the weekend - the 4 we got first have already got smaller combs by the look of it and they're all now scratching and pecking and recognising treats (especially pasta :lol: )

Funniest thing is one of them sticks her head in the Grub and whilst she's munching away on her mash her feet are scratching the ground! Haven't quite got the hang of this step, step, scratch bit yet :lol::lol:

BeckyBoo

Oh Becky, you had me chuckle with your dancing, munching machine! She sounds so happy she can't stop her newly learnt chicken behaviour even when she's eating!

I had a breakthrough today :D As Ursula nibbled crumbs from my hand, I gently stroked her back. Tallulah would leg it, Roxy & Sophia would crouch... but Ursula loved it and the stumps of her tail feathers shot up into the air! So cute :dance: (that's when she started eating my trousers :lol:)

I'm so pleased I have these lovely new ladies!

Morning guys :D

All good with the Larkrise girls here (we named them after 'Larkrise to Candleford' ladies) this morning. They seem to have become really calm in the past couple of days. No shouting, no serious pecking (although a little bit of pulling rank occasionally, which I guess is normal). Managing to keep the run dry despite the HORRID weather yuk... must be so boring for them though as I've had the cover completely down and didn't let them out yesterday to FR... scared they'd be blown away! Hopefully give them some FR time today.

More worried about my top chicken Yolko. Her moult continues but the main worry is since yesterday she has been walking quite unsteadily, keeps lurching to the left somehow... not sure what to do... apart from her fierce moult she is eating and drinking, her poos are completely normal and she got up and bocked about with the others at the normal time this morning. She is spending most of the time standing still all puffed up against the cold as she's lost all her underneath feathers, I'm wondering whether she's got numb legs or something?

Anyway. Glad to hear everybody's chooks are coming along well. Can't wait to hear if Rhapsody gets some ex-barnies too?

skye x

Sorry to hear about Yolko Skye, not sure what to suggest - I've got a staggerer, she just developed it and although he's a bit better she still lurches.

On another note, have had to install a second grub for the barn dancers as they are perpetually SO hungry! So they're all tucking in at the same time instead of queueing and huffing and puffing whislt they wait :D

BeckyBoo

More worried about my top chicken Yolko. Her moult continues but the main worry is since yesterday she has been walking quite unsteadily, keeps lurching to the left somehow... not sure what to do... apart from her fierce moult she is eating and drinking, her poos are completely normal and she got up and bocked about with the others at the normal time this morning. She is spending most of the time standing still all puffed up against the cold as she's lost all her underneath feathers, I'm wondering whether she's got numb legs or something?

Skye have you given her some extra protein & supplements for her moult? Not sure it would help with the stagger, but may with the re-feathering :)

Have you posted on the Clinic for advice, there are some very knowledgeable bods who won't necessarily be loitering around this happy thread.........

I love to see happy battie/barnie stories & photos........keep 'em coming :clap:

Sha x

Thanks Wild Mum really kind of you. Yes I've posted on Chicken Clinic but as Yolko's uppermost in my mind at the mo I couldn't help write about her here too. I've been giving her tuna, ex-batt crumb mixed with mealworms and poultry spice. And just before bed, a big handful of corn to make her a bit warmer. I added some cat food to my weekly shop which arrives tomorrow. If you have any further advice about what might help, I'd be happy to hear it.

ex-barnies are constantly, constantly EATING!! had an egg already today :D

skye x

I am loving your reports about your ex batts/barn hens. :lol: had me in stiches a number of times as well as weeping. :cry::lol:

Sorry about your poorly hen Skye. Poor little thing must be feeling it without many feathers. :( The extra protein will help things along. :anxious:

Keep the posts coming. :clap: You guys are making my day. :clap:

Hope they all get some sun on their backs today. :D xxx

Thanks Becky Boo Wild Mum and Chicken Shirl

Interesting to hear you've also got a staggering chook! Is she moulting too by any chance? I'm glad to hear she seems to be a bit better than she was at least.

More feeders yes!! Great idea! Then perhaps they might be able to eat EVEN MORE :lol::lol:

Bless em they will be really building their strength up with all this food

:clap::clap:

They do eventually slow down on food consumption you'll be pleased to know :wink: ............at some point the penny will drop that they don't have to eat everything in sight & will begin to enjoy other facets of life outside the cage :D

Skye, have you added some cod liver oil and/or limestone flour to her food......she could have a calcium deficiency which may be sorted by these additives :pray: The CLO aids the body's absorption of calcium.

Sha x

Update..

Wow, my 4 girls can all get them selves down the ramp in the morning now. :D

2 eggs a day. !egg!!egg! Although dropped at the furthest part of the cube where I can't fit! have to send the kids in to ferret around for them. :mrgreen:

All of them full of spring now running round the cube very happy, eating and drinking loads. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Good to hear how everyone else's are doing..