skye

Ex-batt/ex-barn rescue 21 November Surrey... pics thread!

Hi all

As it is 'ex-batts/barn hens eve' for a few of us, I thought I would set up a thread where we can share pics and experiences from the rescue day and also swap advice to help them settle in, etc.

If you think it's a good idea, please add your own pics and tales here! I for one can't wait to see everybody's new girls tomorrow!

Skye xx

I will kick off with a couple of pics of our eglu all set up and waiting for the new ex-barn girls...

With the rain shade back for sunbathing...

IMG_1292r.jpg

With the rain shade down for most days in the forseeable future!

IMG_1290r.jpg

The existing girls watch the action with interest from Poulet Towers

IMG_1293r.jpg

Edited by Guest

I am SOooo excited but a little nervous at how they will settle in and how bald they will be and whether they'll be cold, and about their personalities - will they be friendly, mad, bullying or shy... and a little worried about how my current pair will react to them and whether they'll be friendly, mad, bullying or shy!!! Not long until I find out!

I think the difference is that we PICKED our current girls (or rather, they picked us) and we gave them the once over before taking them home. I'm assuming tomorrow we'll get what we're given? Don't know! Unknown territory for us :)

I've finished knitting one CardigHen and just over half way through the next (dropped a stitch whilst enjoying a glass of wine :lol:).

Pics of my 6 month old monkeys below and will post pics of their grannies tomorrow :)

Roxy:

ROXY.JPG

Sophia:

SOPHIA.JPG

Edited by Guest

penlarge.jpg

The run I have made for my girls I hope the girls have had a good week at the BHWT to get strong as they are left overs from last week I hope to have all my girls together after two days If the new girls are upto it! I am lucky as I am at home at the moment so can watch everything. As people have said abit worried about the cold weather but my Rosie is near bald at the moment due to moult so hope they will be ok.

Spent all day cleaning feeders, drinkers cat boxes and making nest boxes out of cardboard (disposable!)

See you tommrow I will be the large skinhead bloke with aload of kids and a red car!!

Well, my four from last Saturday have managed the week in this appalling weather and two of them are almost naked! They've been popping out 3-4 eggs every day and LOVE the mash and are even starting to realise that the porridge or pasta they get isn't for walking on - you can actually eat it! :lol:

I'm picking up 2 more tomorrow at 11 - I asked for "four of your tattiest hens please" last Saturday and was handed the four we've got, to be honest they were all in a lovely big clean barn and you couldn't have chosen as there were so many! So hopefully see you there! :D

BeckyBoo

I am sitting in the shed (it has my computer/office in) and i can't stop watching them they are in so overcome with there new surroundings they keep eating the grass but are very settled! The old girls come and had a look all was good 2 little chest thumps that was it.

Where did you get your orange fence/net from? we're looking to get some but dont know where to go

penlarge.jpg

The run I have made for my girls I hope the girls have had a good week at the BHWT to get strong as they are left overs from last week I hope to have all my girls together after two days If the new girls are upto it! I am lucky as I am at home at the moment so can watch everything. As people have said abit worried about the cold weather but my Rosie is near bald at the moment due to moult so hope they will be ok.

Spent all day cleaning feeders, drinkers cat boxes and making nest boxes out of cardboard (disposable!)

See you tommrow I will be the large skinhead bloke with aload of kids and a red car!!

Well we got our new two - they're as tatty as last weeks four. So far no pecking which has been good - they went straight out with the other four and started eating! :D

november2009019.jpg

november2009021.jpg

I can't tell them apart :roll: all I know is we have Miley, Milly, Lilly, Molly, Dolly and George and I'm so pleased that we have :D:D

BeckyBoo

Slim

Yours look lovely! Do they have names yet? Have yours stopped eating for more than one minute yet??!! Ours haven't!

Here you go then

We popped them through the pop hole into the eglu so they could see their house first.

First one ventured out into the run - Dorcas

IMG_1296.jpg

Closely followed by - Queenie

IMG_1299.jpg

Found the food!

IMG_1300.jpg

Takes a little while but finally the last of our three plucks up the courage - Zilla

IMG_1306.jpg

The three do a little dance to celebrate their new eglu!

IMG_1312.jpg

Queenie up close

IMG_1316.jpg

Zilla up close

IMG_1320.jpg

Believe it or not, within an hour or two we'd had two !eggbrown!!eggbrown! , with much shouting to announce the events!

All settled in and the hatches battened down against the increasingly nasty weather. Will go out in a bit to check they put themselves to bed ok. If the weather's better tomorrow we might let them do a little supervised freeranging.

Happy Day!

Heidi and Roly (Skye) x

Here are our 3 new ladies:

Aloo

DSCF2345.jpg

Gobi

DSCF2340.jpg

Brinjal

DSCF2337.jpg

Some of the old girls meet the new neighbours

DSCF2357.jpg

I've apologised to them about the weather already :roll:

So far the crumb has been tucked into with gusto by all 3 and Brinjal has discovered live mealworms are rather tasty.