skye

Ex-batt/ex-barn rescue 21 November Surrey... pics thread!

Mine started squabbling this morning - most raggedy chicken (Agatha) started chasing the other two away from the feeders. I went in to get another feeder to put at the top of the run (Eglu run plus extension) but by the time I got back, peace had broken out. Going to try them free-ranging for the first time tomorrow, but not sure whether to keep the original three girls in their run or just let them all out together.

Any thoughts, anyone? They have been able to see each other for around 10 days now.

I'd FR them separately for a few days personally, to let them get used to the big outside world before adding big girls to the equation too :anxious:

I had the decision removed from my hands with my flock though, when a Orpie jumped over the Batties fence & introduced herself without invitation :shock: At that point all fences were removed and I needn't have worried, they all behaved impeckably (sorry :oops: )

Sha x

I would usually keep them freeranging separately too but Brinjal did her usual high jump over the barrier and now Gobby's learnt how to do it too. So out they all came together yesterday. Everything was largely OK bar the odd minor skirmish and I was always out there with them to break anything up.

Aloo and Gobby (who is living up to her name - she gives us all a constant running commentary) were fascinated and did about 3 circuits of the garden. They stick together those two, Brinjal is a law unto herself. Then they investigated the WIR thoroughly before finding the food hoppers and settling down for more eating.

They're all doing great.

Thanks Sha and Lydia - I can actually fence off the bit of the FR area where their house is, so that might be best. Big house clean day tomorrow so they'll be supervised, and I've asked my husband to pick up a water pistol in town today just in case!

Glad to hear your FR went well Lydia, I reckon skirmishes are to be expected. I decided to do some combined freeranging with the ex-barnies and the original big girls today... was really nervous in case the big girls picked on the new raggies... but it was the other way ROUND!

The ex-barnies ended up advancing upon my original girls and Zilla marched right up to to Lily and tried to jump on her... they started quite an impressive Ninja style fight which I separated... Both the Orpingtons got away scot free and Bella was cornered by two of the ex-barnies as well! She is twice the size of them!

It's the first time I've merged two adult flocks. Usually I have to be careful that one isn't being victimised but they can all hold their own in this situation... and the ex-barnies are hard as nails!

I'll have another broom-supervised bonding session with them tomorrow I think!

skye x

Mine will be out tomorrow even if the heavens open so I can give the run a good clean out - the mess from 6 hens in two weeks in this weather is incredible :shock: But mine don't seem to mind pellets - I mixed some the other day and gave them mostly pellets today and they're such pigs they ate whatever was in front of them! Looking forward to actually spending some time with them tomorrow :D

BeckyBoo

Mine will be out tomorrow even if the heavens open so I can give the run a good clean out - the mess from 6 hens in two weeks in this weather is incredible :shock: But mine don't seem to mind pellets - I mixed some the other day and gave them mostly pellets today and they're such pigs they ate whatever was in front of them! Looking forward to actually spending some time with them tomorrow :D

BeckyBoo

I can just see you with them. You cleaning, and the hens preening. :lol: Hope the weather is kind to you all.xx

They're out! They're out!! I am SOOOOO happy! :D:D They literally RAN out of the run and started eating grass and the remains of the flower and veg beds! And considering my contact with them has been limited to mornings only they followed me round the garden, "helped" me shovel away the mess they'd made once I moved the Eglu - I know where the 20kgs of mash went now - on the ground! :roll: They paid NO attention to the dog who was SO good and just lay there, even when one of them pecked her tail :shock::lol: Bit of dancing between them and the big girls through the run wire - the big girls are NOT impressed at staying in but hey, I figure it's the barn girls turn - they've been waiting nearly two years after all! It's sunny but cold and it's windy and they keep legging it up and down the garden flapping their wings. I've just come in to upload ALLLLL these pictures and they're now staring at me through the patio windows as if to say "Oh there you are, how do we get in there then?" :lol:

So prepare for picture overload....

november2009025.jpg

november2009028.jpg

november2009035.jpg

november2009042.jpg

november2009036.jpg

I couldn't tell you which is which although the children probably could :lol:

BeckyBoo - very happy chicken Mummy today!

Edited to add - "What d'you mean we're not allowed in there?"

november2009043.jpg

november2009044.jpg

One of mine seems to have a problem, I have posted in the clinic just letting you all know on here too. :( Not sure if you remember me saying Camilla wasn't walking, well she did start to walk but she hasn't come out all day. She doesn't look well atall. :(

My others have settled really well, no squabling and loving their new home.

They're out! They're out!! I am SOOOOO happy! :D:D

Oh WOW! Absolutely fantastic photos Becky! I'm loving it! You and your new girls are doing just brilliantly, I'm glad you've had sunshine too - but flippin'eck, it's cold!

Big house clean day tomorrow so they'll be supervised

How's your day been?

I'll have another broom-supervised bonding session with them tomorrow I think!

How's your day been too Skye? Yesterday sounds like you had fun! :)

They're all doing great.
Fantastic news!

eat pelets and grass! The only problem i am having is getting them in at night!
GRASS! Uh oh, join the grassless club! Glad things are going well with you :)

Tallulah and Ursula were bursting to get out too - in fact they escaped yesterday and had a mini-confrontation with Roxy and Sophia! Even though I was panicking, I quickly scooped Ursula up and shooed Tallulah back in :shock:

So today, we had a cunning plan and it worked! We took down the sacking for the divide in the WIR and let them get used to seeing each other for a couple of hours (during which time, Ursula went into the nest and PURRED solidly for 10 minutes and presented us with a hot egg!). Then this afternoon, let R&S out and distracted them by chucking corn on the cob under the bushes :mrgreen: Then armed with the big green leaf scoopers, we let out Tallulah and Ursula. It was Sophia and Ursula (yep, the little bald one) who had the problem and did some belly busting - if we kept Ursula away, Sophia got on fine with Tallulah and they nibbled crumbs out of a plant pot together - weird. The giant hands worked really well. Roxy was too busy digging and eating corn to even notice them, let alone approach - but it's waaaay to early to leave them out together without supervision as I wouldn't trust Roxy once she's twigged what's going on!

So hope we have a repeat of the good weather tomorrow. We'll keep R&S in (takes careful planning, as the door is on their half of the WIR!) and let T&U have the run of the garden :)

Well done folks, can't believe we've only had the girls a week!

One of mine seems to have a problem, I have posted in the clinic just letting you all know on here too. :( Not sure if you remember me saying Camilla wasn't walking, well she did start to walk but she hasn't come out all day. She doesn't look well atall. :(

Oh no :( I hope she improves, poor little girl (and I feel for you too, I know how horrible it is to see a lovely chook suffering). I hope you get some useful info on the Clinic :pray:

Oh no :( I hope she improves, poor little girl (and I feel for you too, I know how horrible it is to see a lovely chook suffering). I hope you get some useful info on the Clinic :pray:

OH! GMXB, what a awful shame. I hope you get some good advise that will put her on the road to recovery. {{Hugs}}

Sorry, yet more pictures - of two marauders in my kitchen!! All this whilst I was uploading the earlier pictures, I heard a gentle "baawwwwwk" from the kitchen and went to find THESE two!!

november2009051.jpg

november2009053.jpg

november2009046.jpg

I've no idea which one this is but I've renamed her Tatty-head although I won't tell the children that :D

november2009052.jpg

november2009049.jpg

They were there for about 10 minutes whilst I sat on the floor feeding them sultanas from the baking cupboard! The really tatty one with the floppy comb and bald nexk is SO confident, she ate from my hand and off my knee, the other better covered hen was more cautious, she was easy to get out, tatty-head had to be coerced, ushered and eventually chucked out!! :roll::lol::lol:

BeckyBoo

What great pics BeckyBoo!

Gotmyexbats, how's she doing?? :(

Our two have been free ranging with the big girls for a few days and tonight is their second night in the Eglu all together. They are not keen on being in the run together though...

The two newbies both laid in the Eglu today, very impressed!

All looking good, although the garden is trashed with this weather and four chickens, but hey who cares :D

Oh wow, they've put themselves to bed! Not on the roost (one in a nest box and one perched on the divider between the two) but hey, can't have it all! I've been worried that they are still awake 18 hours a day like in the barn, as I've been having to put them to bed in the dark in the evenings and, next morning, they've been pacing in the dark to get out and eat way before 7am!

Not much news today - the rain was horrendous so they've all stayed in the WIR, eying each other up through the mesh :shock: The barnies combs are almost upright now (Tallulah's was like a fringe last week) and are definitely pink instead of the pale flesh colour they were last week. When will they ever stop eating?!