emmab

my chicken is losing feathers

I have had a broody hen, she has just about got back to her normal self and then this morning I discovered the coop full of feathers! I couldn't tell where they were coming from (although I knew they were her's) and when i picked her up they were falling out in my hands. She's only 5 1/2 months old so seems a bit young for moulting. Do you think the broodiness and feather loss are connected? I spray the coop weekly and sprinkle red mite powder in their bedding so i dont think its that. She's also in a vile mood and being mean to the others! any ideas would be appreciated!!

Last year I only had one moulter (and it seemed to only be a mini moult) this year I appear to have 2, my PP is looking very unkempt, if anyone who didn't know anything about chooks saw her they would think that we werent' looking after her properly. Rosie has never moulted.

One thing about it is a pain, just a week ago they were all laying like troopers, so much so we had a glut of eggs and I gave 12 away thinking we will soon re-fill the egg box, however since then we have been lucky to get one a day and have been considering buying eggs :anxious:

Thanks everyone! Makes me feel better to hear other chooks are doing the same. I think it's just tail feathers and they're are no bald spots on her I just had a right shock when I opened the coop, it looked like they'd had a pillow fight in the night!