Egluntyne

Ultrasonic contact lens cleaner.

Persist with them...its worth it.

It took me a while to get the hang of using them...now I use them without a second thought.

The first time I wore them I couldn't get one of them out!! Major panic....A contact lens wearing friend had to come round and supervise! :oops:

:? what is an ultrasonic cleaner, Egluntine? I do use monthlys, and will heed Laura's advise, eyes are so precious, I will clean very thoroughly from now on, instead of dip & go :oops: I just use the bottles of solution that come with the lenses, but I'd be interested to know about another cleaner..

Changing track ever so slightly, has anyone used an online specs maker? I need high index lenses, and haven't had a new pair for 4 years, the last ones cost £250 and that was from a reasonable optician!

Now I have had a google around and found a firm called spex4less, who offer rimless high index ones for as little as £58! (They also do contact lenses as well).

Just wondered if anyone had tried them :?

:? what is an ultrasonic cleaner, Egluntine? I do use monthlys, and will heed Laura's advise, eyes are so precious, I will clean very thoroughly from now on, instead of dip & go :oops: I just use the bottles of solution that come with the lenses, but I'd be interested to know about another cleaner..

I'm afraid I was guilty of that too. Daily disposables are so much better than the monthlys for that reason alone! :)

Do you mean that an ultrasonic cleaner won't do the job thoroughly Laura007? :shock:
they do clean contact lenses but as most lenses now are disposable you shouldnt really need one, they tended to be used for GP lenses.

daily disposable lenses really are the best choice, whack it in your eye and then bin it at the end of the day, you can can get lenses that you can sleep in aswell now, which are good. they are not for everyone but your optician should advise you.

the amount of people that come with infections, is ridiculous. and more often than not they dont have a pair of spare spex they can be wearing whilst the infection clears up.

please please please take good care of your eyes, you cant replace them.

(cor that sounded a tad dramatic)

8) I use monthly's because I very often put them in and out twice a day, perhaps wearing them 1st & last thing, but giving my eyes a rest early eve. & couldn't bear to be throwing dailies out if I'd only worn them for an hour or 2. However, they must be the best way for anyone who has the right routine to go with them. So, monthlys for me, I'll just make sure I spend time cleaning, and I do give my eyes rest days with specs too.

Re online specs. I would think there is a good saving on single vision ones. But OH tried to save with bi focals & thought the frames weren't what he expected and the lenses weren't right, so then spent the fortune he was going to spend at the opticians, plus the online one! :roll:

Changing track ever so slightly, has anyone used an online specs maker? I need high index lenses, and haven't had a new pair for 4 years, the last ones cost £250 and that was from a reasonable optician!

Now I have had a google around and found a firm called spex4less, who offer rimless high index ones for as little as £58! (They also do contact lenses as well).

Just wondered if anyone had tried them :?

i havent had any dealing with online spectacle makers, but although they are cheaper than the high street, there really are some down sides to buying your glasses online.

there are certain measurements that need to be taken for you to be able see properly, most high street opticians wont give you this information, and if they do you will probably be charged for it. you can have a go at taking it your self, but to be honest unless you really are sure of what you are doing its not advisabe. if you do input your prescription wrong ITS YOUR FAULT, so be sure that is spot on. if you have any visual problems you dont have the option to go back to the store and get it checked out properly. the spectacles will not be fitted properly either. im sorry to sound like i am putting a downer on getting your spectacles online, but you should be able to make an informed choice. oh and 250 quid for one pair of specs with hi index thinner lenses is expensive, there is a certain high street opticians "that you should have gone to"!

Edited by Guest

here is a funny story about contact lenses. and its true!!

this is from many years ago when soft lenses where just becoming popular and lots of people wore the GP rigid lenses.

a lady came in to have her 3 monthly check after she had been fitted for her rigid contact lenses, the optician did all the checks and and found her eyes to be quite badly infected. he asked her to take her lenses out so he could have a better look inside the eye. she took her lenses out and as she was putting the lenses into the contact lens case the optician noticed how filthy they were. he asked her if she was cleaning them on a daily basis and she said "yes, i am taking the tablet every night before i go to bed" the optician was quite puzzled by her response, "you're taking the tablet every night??" "yes, the tablet in the silver packet that came with the lenses" at this point the optician had to make his excuses and leave the room. he could not contain himself and was on his kness laughing.

yes, she had been taking the tablet orally!!! you can only imagine how embaressed she was when he went back in to explain the cleaning routine to her. Again.

No, but I suspect I might in a few more years time.... :roll:

I have a friend who just couldn't get used to them, so her optician fitted her with one lens for distance, the other for close. It took her a bit of time to get used to having monocular vision, but I think she is really pleased with it now....

i havent had any dealing with online spectacle makers, but although they are cheaper than the high street, there really are some down sides to buying your glasses online.

there are certain measurements that need to be taken for you to be able see properly, most high street opticians wont give you this information, and if they do you will probably be charged for it. you can have a go at taking it your self, but to be honest unless you really are sure of what you are doing its not advisabe. if you do input your prescription wrong ITS YOUR FAULT, so be sure that is spot on. if you have any visual problems you dont have the option to go back to the store and get it checked out properly. the spectacles will not be fitted properly either. im sorry to sound like i am putting a downer on getting your spectacles online, but you should be able to make an informed choice. oh and 250 quid for one pair of specs with hi index thinner lenses is expensive, there is a certain high street opticians "that you should have gone to"!

Thanks for the info Laura. Are you referring to the pupilliary distance? I went to Specsavers years ago, and after some trouble with prescriptions and add on costs never went again, maybe I should go, it was a long time ago and I am sure procedures have advanced. It would be so nice to have specs I like rather than some I can afford! I have paid over £200 for specs for the last 10 years. A now retired colleague, who is VERY shortsighted (-8.something) got charged over £350 at the optician we both used to go to. Her specs were allegedly so expensive to produce that Boots wouldn't even offer the free sunglasses when they had their offer on!

I now get my contacts from Sp**s**vers, having worn them for years, I decided to change supplier as the outlet I previously bought them from couldn't care less and the one before that had rude and off hand staff.....anyway.... the lady at Sp**s**ers was the first one to realise that my left eye is the dominant one, and that I needed to swap the distance and reading lenses to the opposite eyes. Improvement massive and immediate.

(She said that fact that I'm left handed should have been a clue).

So I' pleased so far ....oh....and they are cheaper!

Thanks for the info Laura. Are you referring to the pupilliary distance? I went to Specsavers years ago, and after some trouble with prescriptions and add on costs never went again, maybe I should go, it was a long time ago and I am sure procedures have advanced. It would be so nice to have specs I like rather than some I can afford! I have paid over £200 for specs for the last 10 years. A now retired colleague, who is VERY shortsighted (-8.something) got charged over £350 at the optician we both used to go to. Her specs were allegedly so expensive to produce that Boots wouldn't even offer the free sunglasses when they had their offer on!

at sp*cs*v*rs the add ons are now very straight forward

frame price including standard single vision lenses, then if you want thinner lenses you can choose different sorts and pay the price accordingly

for 2 pairs you should pay around £329 but that is 2 pairs of spex one with mega thin lenses and 1 with standard lenses this is going right to the top end, there are plenty more much lower priced options.

if you want any more info PM and i will let you know.

I can't remember how long I have worn contact lenses, but it must be over 12 years. I think I have had one infection in all that time. I wear monthly disposables now.

It has been funny reading about the tablet things - is that what you all use? I had forgotten about them. For a long time now, I use a solution which works in conjunction with the lens pot. The pot has a disk at the bottom which reacts with the fluid. I don't have to do any cleaning as such, just put the lenses in the pot and add the fluid. It is so much easier. :D I assumed everyone on monthlies would be using this system, but apparently not! :?