Egluntyne

Dead Foxes

I'd have exactly the same mixed feelings, Egluntine. As a wild animal, there is a lot to admire about a fox, they can be seen as beautiful, clever creatures and I certainly wouldn't like to say they shouldn't exist.

However, near poultry and sheep they are a menace, and they certainly would not have a safe haven if I found one near my chickens. The mangy, urban foxes are not high on my list of creatures to protect either.

But, I'd still feel sad for any animal killed. I think I'd rather have these mixed emotions than not, but also stay realistic about these fragile existences. :)

ANY animal dead by the side of the road upsets me. :cry:

*touch wood* I've yet to actually collide with an animal when driving...I would be in bits if I did.

When hubby is driving and we see a dead animal on the road (ie badger,fox etc) I convince myself its just a "lost hat" or "furry coat" as opposed to an animal, otherwise it upsets me....im very sensitive about animals :oops::oops::)

Me too :( . A couple of months ago I watched the most magnificent dog fox playing in the field next to our house. It was one of the most amazing wildlife experiences of my life .... and I've been fortunate enough to see eagles, otters, pine martens, stoats, deer etc etc etc. Since then I've heard him barking at night and it's such a lovely wild sound. But, and it's a big but, my neighbour has lost some chickens and ducks to him, and I know that I would have too, but for the fact that my banties are in secure quarters at the moment. Yesterday the shoot was out to get him and I don't know if they succeeded or not as I didn't want to ask. I know he has to go, particularly as it gets closer to lambing time, but he was (is??) so very beautiful. :(

The mangy, urban foxes are not high on my list of creatures to protect

:)

That's interesting Sheila, I hadn't thought until I read the above.....both the dead foxes looked well nourished, a beautiful auburn and I guess were quite young, although i didn't hang about.

I was most particularly struck by the colour.

They weren't a bit like the dull, scraggy mange ridden creatures that we occasionally see in the garden.

I don't like to see dead animals on the roads - although my boyfriend is more sensitive about it than me. He has tried to put us in the ditch a few times swerving to avoid pheasants or even low flying pigeons...

My brother once hit a duck when he was on his motorbike (my brother on the bike, not the duck :lol: ). It winded him so badly I'm not sure how he managed to carrying on riding. Not sure about the fate of the poor duck though - hopefully it just bounced off :cry:

The most upset I have been was when I had just passed my test and was driving my car down a road with a ditch either side. A barn owl swooped from nowhere (I guess it was hunting in the ditch) and it clipped my wing mirror. It appeared to keep flying (well, its wings were still flapping) and the wing mirror was not damaged so I've always prayed that it survived. Still feel guilty about it :cry:

I once hit a blackbird (well, it was blown into the car by some galeforce winds), and when I got to where I was going, I got out to discover a large amount of 'debris' left on the car, where it had hit. I threw up (again, over the car), and a nice security guard came and washed the side of the car for me, bless him. Mind, I was 9 months pregnant at the time, and he was probably scared that I'd drop right in front of him, but still, it was nice of him!

I also ran over a bunny on the road this year, when we went on holiday - we left the house at about 4:30am, so the bunnies were all out, and I hit one - the children we DEVESTATED.

My Kids tease me about the time I hit and killed a Pheasant (even though they aren't old enought to remember!!!) We were on holiday in Norfolk with friends - driving down a country lane when a pheasant wandered out in front of my friends car she missed it , it ran into the ditch and then came straight back out right in front of me - I couldn't miss it! I have felt so guilty about it and it doesn't help that the kids tell everyone that "Mum murdered a pheasant" :oops::oops::cry: !! I did see a dead fox near my daughters school the other morning. It was huge and well fed and a beautiful auburn colour. First one I have seen in about 12months.

Driving home from work this evening I nearly hit a fox :shock: . It was a dark country lane with heathland on one side and a narrow of strip of trees on the other....... beyond which is the A2.

Anyway I had the road to myself, until I suddenly saw this fox charge out right in front of me. Fortunately he got safely across the road in front of me, even though I saw him too late for any braking to have been effective.

I'd have felt dreadful if I'd hit him.

6 weeks after passing my driving test, 23 years ago :shock: I hit a dog, I'd seen it coming and thankfully only clipped its back leg :cry: he ran off ok, but I had to pull over, and cried my eyes out! :cry: the worst thing I saw was a fawn, at first I thought it was a big dog! not very nice to see first thing in the morning :cry:

Driving home from work this evening I nearly hit a fox :shock: . It was a dark country lane with heathland on one side and a narrow of strip of trees on the other....... beyond which is the A2.

quote]

I nearly hit a fox the other night while driving through Kidbrooke, SE London. It ran out into the road, saw my car and turned around and trotted back to the kerb not the slightest bit bothered. I think it might have been looking for its flat-mates. Two other foxes in Kidbrooke had been hit and killed by cars in recent days.

quote]

I nearly hit a fox the other night while driving through Kidbrooke, SE London. It ran out into the road, saw my car and turned around and trotted back to the kerb not the slightest bit bothered. I think it might have been looking for its flat-mates. Two other foxes in Kidbrooke had been hit and killed by cars in recent days.

..an allusion to the old hedgehog joke?? :roll:

Phil

quote]

..an allusion to the old hedgehog joke?? :roll:

Phil

It was. Sorry.

Although, I don't remember the hedgehog in the joke being old. Then I suppose you don't have to be young to flat-share with mates. :think:

:wink:

It was. Sorry.

Although, I don't remember the hedgehog in the joke being old.

:wink:

...why did the old hedgehog cross the road?? Mmmm... you may have a point!

Phil