ChrisP

Don't know what to do. Warning, rant?!

Well, she wasn't very understanding was she. Any chance of trying a different doctor? They are not all like that. I'd also question her calling you a child of 18, you're a young adult.

Please don't just give up, there will be help out there. I agree with the others, go through uni support system, talk to your tutors.

Remember we are all here supporting you.

How did the exam go?

Definitely try a different doctor. My experience is that some are very dismissive of these kind of problems whereas others are very helpful and will refer to counselling etc. I found the biggest change in attitude came when I transferred from a doctors' practice in the city where they never had time for me and I had to exaggerate my symptoms just to get an appointment to a practice in the countryside where they can always fit me in on the same day and are willing to chat and spend time with their patients.

As others have said, don't let this put you off seeking help, it is out there for you. Ask your personal tutor...she may know of a teen-friendly doc who understands what you are going through.

Good luck and [[[hugs]]]

xx

Thanks guys. Went for a walk along the beach after posting here, and watched the waves, and feel much better having ranted about her. I'm going to contact my tutor again, I've not yet had a reply from her, and find out more about what help is at the university after my exams finish.

Helly Welly, thanks for the tip of googling St John's Wort, off to do that now...

I was always taught to look at positives in every occasion, I'll think of one from this occasion (I'm stubborn like that!)

Stupid stupid STUPID doctor. Why ca'nt they realise that it takes a lot of courage to come in and talk about this, and that their reaction can be a make or break difference.

Ooooh! they make me so mad. :evil:

Definitely use student services, or ask to see a different doctor, or both. if you se a different doctor at your practice explain why - that this is the first time you have summoned up enough courage to speak to anyone, therefore you may not have put across exactly how you feel in the best way, and that you do not feel that what the first doctor told you has helped you in any way.

There are lots of helplines and other support out there. Don't give up!

And remember, we are all here too! :D:D:D

Your doctor sounds like a word I'm not allowed to use on this forum.

There are definitely some rubbish, uncaring, jaded doctors about. I had one, and a year later he got struck off. Yours will no doub t get theirs in the future. You are not at fault here, and your doctor is WRONG.

If I were you, I'd change doctors, get the help you need for the depression right here and right now (and incidently 18 is NOT a child - the patronising...(oops, must only use nice words :evil: ) person, and then when you're well, write to the practice managers telling them what 'help' the doctor was, and cc in the NHS Trust.

That kind of attitude from your doctor is disgusting.

So glad the beach helped though. Fresh air, daylight and exercise can definitely help. Beaches are a Very Good Thing.

Please do not be put off getting medical help by one idiotic.... ooh there I go again! :)

There IS help available for you. Don't give up. :)

You did not waste her time! She has wasted yours!!

I totally agree!!

What a disgrace :evil: I am so cross that you plucked up the courage to go and then this happens. Of course you will feel put off asking for GP help now but if you can bear it when you are feeling up to it perhaps you can try again with another doctor. The other thing that crossed my mind is to try a life/youth coach. They are great listeners and can coach you by phone. This may help you talk things through. They don't necessarily 'give' advise but help you find your own solutions. Something like this may help you to find strategies to help but I think that you need to discuss your depression with a doctor too. Try not to be too downhearted. This doctor has really let you down, you are not a child asking for drugs, you are an adult asking for medical help and advise :wall:

Oh Chris, sorry that the Doctor was rubbish.

You are right, there are positives....

You made a Doctors appointment AND you turned up for it :D

You haven't given up, just refocussed (is that really a word?!) :D

You took positive action - going for a walk to collect your thoughts - after a negative experience. Lots of people wouldn't have done this. It seems a simple thing but believe me it isn't. :D

You have a lot of Omleteers sending bad vibes to the horrid Doctor :twisted::twisted: (oops, sorry, that's a bit naughty of me! :shameonu::lol: )

xxxx

hey

First up the Doctors advice is wrong they do give antidepressants for under 18s i have been in the past put under huge pressure to go onto them from the age of 15 despite the fact at the time i wasn't depressed i had m.e. I have suffered from depression and still periodically have panic attacks but not till long after the above episode with the doctor.

First up I would go and change doctors she doesn't sound like she has a clue how to deal with you and you don't want to be in a position where you dread going to the doctors. It's worth trying to remember that doctors are there to provide a service in the same way that counter staff at the supermarket are and as such if you don't think your getting an acceptable service change. (thinking on it that way always helped me to deal with difficult docs)

I personally found that the drug route didn't work for me. Whereas i respond extremely well to counseling and Cbt which you may want to try. Any decent professional should be able to make you feel comfortable enough to talk doctors included and if they make you uncomftable or upset change it's not worth sticking with them.

I think your doing amazingly well and you've made so many positive steps well done. Don't forget you have many supportive friends on here and i hope your exams go well.

Beth

I may seem amazingly cynical about doctors i have had some bad experiences but equally once i got through the bad ones i had some good ones as well you just have to get through the bad first.