ChrisP

Don't know what to do. Warning, rant?!

The Uni will have a student support service - we have a mental health nurse and 3 fulltime counsellors (plus our SU as a student wellfare officer) - they deal with students all the time and will know where you are coming from. I always tell my students we wouldn't have 3 fulltime counsellors if you were the only student with problems - it is more common than you think, but part of being depressed is that you will feel isolated and that you are the only one - others in your class are all coping.

See the GP and tell your tutor, but do see what student support service your uni and student union have - they will have more time and specific experience then a general GP can give.

Good luck!

Edited by Guest

I too don't want to talk about it, i have nothing to say as i have no idea why i get depressed.

I know what you mean Helly Welly...I felt like that when trying to talk to OH about my feelings regarding my parents and sister's deaths. However, when I went to a counsellor she was able to get me to talk freely. I think it was explaining what had happened to the counsellor that got me talking, whereas with my OH, I could not start because he knew all the facts about what had happened, so there was no starting point for the conversation. By starting with the facts, we could slip into the emotional side more easily. Then I was able to discover the source of my problems.

Well, that's my theory about one reason why it is hard to talk to people you know about the problem. The other being, as has already been pointed out, a counsellor is completely non-judgemental and you don't feel like you have to impress them or be anyone you aren't.

Good luck, Chris, once you take that first step by going to see the doc and letting your tutor know, you will feel much more in control of your life and that will start to make you feel more positive.

More [[[hugs]]] coming your way

x

My son suffers with depression too (although he's not at college - I think that was probably a good decision). He refused to speak to anyone - even us, but just by you writing your feelings and worries down is a good thing. Although nothing is verbal - your fingers do the speaking for you and we can see that comes from the heart. But I do think you should go and discuss how you feel with your tutor - I'm sure there are lots of other youngsters feeling the same way (and I bet they hide very well from other people too - until they get behind closed doors on their own). I don't know, but perhaps there is a group for you to join where you can all help each other. Other than that there is a lot of sound advice on here already.

Hang in there - lots of hugs.smiley-hug008.gif

Both myself and my ED have suffered panic attacks in our teens. Just hang on in there, it does get better eventually if you face your fears and ask others around you to understand and support you. This often ivolves them being cruel to be kind by encouraging you to do things that are outside your comfort zone, rather than letting you off.

I have felt like the wicked witch of the west with my ED making her go on trips etc that have made her panic, but from my own experience the sense of pride you get when you overcome your fears helps enormously in the future.

I had panic attacks with my depression, just try to calm your breathing down, easier said than done I know. Try to think of somewhere that you are happy, visualise it and try to slow your breathing (mine is always a beach with the sound of waves breaking).

Please, please contact your doctor as soon as you can.

Hi Chris,

Panic attacks often occur with depression. It's horrible but you WILL get better. Go see your doctor. The right meds can be extremely helpful as can cog behavioural therapy, exercise, healthy diet, B vitamins and Omega 3 oils.

And don't worry, you can off load on the forum.

Take care, my dear. :)

Saronne xxx

As soon as my exams are over, I'm joining the gym :D

When normally going to lectures I walk at least two miles a day (a mile to uni, and a mile back) and kayak weekly, need to get back into those habits after revision is over.

Also, am planning a week away after exams, going to visit a friend in Plymouth for a night, and spend a few days at home and come back fully refreshed (well, I think a week away will make things better)

And, emailed my tutor today explaining so she knows before my exams, and made a Drs appt for Monday :shock:

Now, hopefuly tomorow will be a day I can get through without crying :oops:

Hi Chris,

Just wanted to wish you lots of love and luck for your Docs appointment tomorrow :D Try and tell the Doctor as much as possible, like someone else suggested perhaps you could take a print out of your original post just in case you get stuck for words. Hope it goes well.

I'll be thinking about you, if you have any wobbly moments just remember you have your Omlet family sending you all the very best wishes and hugs. :D

xxxx

Gosh Chris you have done so well getting this far. You have taken the first steps towards getting help and they are I am sure the most difficult. We are here for you whenever you need us- day and night (you'd be surpised at the number of us that visit all hours of the day and night!). We are happy to support you in any way we can. :wink:

Well I went to the doctors and it was a disaster :(

I explained about panic attacks and finding everything tough, crying every day, and waking up in the night etc

She put on a patronising voise and explained how "Growing up affects people different ways and it's up to you as an individual to find a way that works for you. some people don't find an efective way tho, and they have to cope" :?

She asked about if parents have had depression, I said both are on antidepressants, and she said "well we don't put children of 18 on antidepressants", I hadn't even asked to be put on anything, my question was do you have any advice for how to deal with this?

So i've come back and :cry: cos now Ifelt like I'd just gone in there and wasted her time.

And also realised why I've never been to the Drs before when feeling like this :(

Well your doctor doesn't sound very nice for a start and doesn't sound understanding at all. (Not all doctors are like this its just very unfortunate yours is) You've done a very brave thing by going there in the first place when you are feeling like you are.

Maybe write down the good and bad bits of how your feeling and compare them and then ask yourself why you might be feeling that way.

I totally get that its hard to figure out why you feel how you do but "why" is the key question to be asked and questioning yourself in general is a good idea as long as a positive comes out of it.

Hope you feel better soon x

You did not waste her time! She has wasted yours!!

But the important thing is don't be put off from asking for help.

I would suggest seeing what services there are available at your Uni? And maybe speaking to your tutor? There is help out there for you.

Sorry it didn't work out with the doctor - follow my suggested route through the Uni support system - you will find that far more productive I am sure. Also look to see what mental health facilities you have locally - here in Gloucestershire we have a new service: http://www.talk2gether.nhs.uk/ to access their services you do not need to go via a GP. You might find this website of use to you anyway whereever you are based - it has some good information and depression/anxiety test questionnaires.

Do not give up one unsupportive GP should not stop you getting help.

Tracy