WarrensWorld

Advice please, RE a Dog.

if the dog is being abandoned in the street to fend to itself basically I cannot see how you would be in trouble for taking it in and giving it some loves and attention.

It would be a pretty sad world if anyone thought different IMO.

But if it makes you feel better put a letter through the door telling them where the dog is and that you felt you ncould offer them some help at this time by taking in the dog (whether permanent or temporary)

I believe the most important thing is that he is not left phining away on the street. that is so so sad.

Hi Colin,

I tend to agree with the others here but bearing Cinnamon's advice in mind. Tomorrow, leave a note saying you are happy to foster/rehome the dog and have taken him to your house in the short term. You need to be proactive to get a response and chances are the niece will bite your hand off(sorry for the bad taste pun there).

I am half Irish and can remember only too well from my childhood days that the animals were for practical purpose only. Interestingly, my mother, the Irish half, will not eat chicken!!Bad memories of her childhood. The dogs were loved but had to work for their keep.

I have to say that my gut reaction would be to take him in, but over here in France, most dogs are left out, within their property, in all weathers etc (not ours, I hasten to add) and it would probably be an offence to take a dog away from it's home, for whatever reason, without the consent of the owner or a relative. You would certainly be in some kind of trouble.

I do so hope it works out for the dog - and for you. Best of luck.

You mention that Bernie, the person who lets him in and out, is Eileen's friend. Can you not speak to Bernie and tell her you'd like to foster the dog with a view to adopting? As she is the person currently looking after him, I would expect that she could agree this at least temporarily.

She could then talk to the relatives for you, or put you in touch with them.

Sorry guys, I don't mean to sound dramatic here, but...

dog-fighting, cock-fighting, badger baiting, battery hen farming, feeding animal bits to herbivores, etc. were all acceptable once - until people decided they were wrong and fought to change animal welfare standards. This dog's plight sounds like an animal welfare issue to me. :?

Saronne x

Sorry for the delay, but I wanted something definite to reply with. We've spoken to Jims niece about the collie, his names Chip and he's about 9 years old. Della the niece is staying at the house at the moment, so Chips OK. She is still looking for a home for him, and is waiting on a reply from some friends. If she still can't rehome Chip, we've said we'll take care of him... This is subject to Jenny and Molly getting on with him, ie no nastiness. They're both rescued dogs, and Molly had a very traumatic early life and We don't want to set her right back. Though it was people in general and children in particular that caused her so much pain. She still will not go within 20 metres of the school playground when the children are outside. I'll try and get a picture of Chip, and will keep you updated on events. Thank you all for the replies, we'll do our best for Chip....TTFN. :)

Well we went to see Chip, with Jenny and Molly. Molly loved him straight away play bowed, tail wag and jumping up.... Jenny wouldn't go near him she even bared her teeth, We've never seen her do that before. We thought that Molly would be the one to be upset and put out!.

Chips, is going to live with Johnny B a retired farmer, who lives just half mile up the lane. He always used to have a dog his last one died 3 years ago aged 14. So it looks like alls well that ends well. :)