WarrensWorld

Advice please, RE a Dog.

A couple of weeks ago, J.K. an old man died in our village. His Dog a collie has been sat out on the drive since J.K.s funeral in all weathers. Bernie, Eileens friend puts him indoors at night and lets him out in the morning. She also feeds him in the evening, she says J.K.s niece has found a home for him!, but that was 10 days ago.... The poor dog was on the drive all day today in the rain.

Should I kidnap the Dog? Eileen says we should wait a while, but what about the Dog. I'm sure our Terriers Jenny and Molly would cope with another Dog, they were both rescued.

I'm in a little bit of a quandary as to what's best for the Dog. Thanks for reading.

Colin.

Is there any way you could contact the niece to discuss? Or could you foster the dog for the time being with a view to it becoming a permanent arrangement if necessary? Doesn't seem fair on the dog to be left out especially as it is grieving for its owner :(

How lovely of you to consider taking it in 8)

I am probably not the most objective person to advise :oops:

However, Thomas our cat came to us by similar means. My neighbour was taken into care and Thomas was left behind. We fed him for several months and let him be a visitor to our home.

After time, her family came and said they were going to "take care" of him. They meant having him put down :shock:

That was when he officially became our cat :wink:

It may be worth taking him in, and mentioning to Bernie, and leave a note for the family. They will probably be glad that he has found a loving home, as 10 days does seem unfair for the dog :D Worst case scenario, he has a happy foster home for a while :wink:

Colin, thank you for posting this thread. You absolutely must, must, must adopt him by fair means or foul :!: You could re-name him Bobby as in Greyfriars. :) This is a story which has to have a happy ending - def with you :!: Could you bring him home and introduce your dogs on neutral territory & see how they get on :?: Do please let us know how things turn out. I'm keeping fingers, wings and paws crossed for you. Allisonx

TAKE THE DOG, TAKE THE DOG!

Erm, with my more subjective hat on, I agree, there can be no harm (apart from you getting sentimentally attached to a dog you then may have to hand back) were you to "temporarily foster him" whilst the family were sorting out something.

I suppose my only worry would be what if they turned out to be really appalling and accused you of dognapping etc, so I guess you have to make best endeavours to contact them too. If they are coming twice a day, then a note on the door with your phone number, asking them to ring you about the dog?

Do you know them at all, or what kind of people they are? If in doubt, don't give your name or whereabouts when you leave the note and see how the telephone conversation goes... Worst case scenario you could put the phone down and return the poor wee doggy to outside the house in the morning.

I wonder who the dog now actually belongs to in law? You can only bequest donkeys, tortoises and parrots in a will I believe. (Useless piece of information there). :D

Take the poor doggy in, it must be heartbreaking to see him sitting there!

Good luck!

Again, a vote for you to take him in.

When my Mum was taken into a care home a few years ago, I was very grateful to her neighbours for looking after her cat as I had so much else to deal with. Sounds like the neice is probably not really a "doggie" person and is likely to be glad of someone offering to help. I'd try to contact her, so she knows what you are doing and be sure you are happy to have the dog long term (ie definately OK with your dogs).

Thank you all for the replies. He isn't tied up which is unusual for Irish dogs, but he doesn't move from the drive. We've no idea of his name or age, and we can only see him over the valley (half a mile away). I really don't know what to do for the best.

We're London, and it's taken 13 years to come to terms with the Irish mentality, as regards to animals. Everyone as said we're níeve because we won't eat our chooks, and our Dogs sleep in our bed, shock horror.

I honestly don't know what to do for the best, we have to live here...........

If you left a note explaining that the dog looked cold and you thought, given their current circumstances, it might be helpful to take him in until they were sorted, do you think they would be ok with that?

Worst case scenario they'll think you soft, but I'm sure they wouldn't have a problem with it. You're not accusing them of cruelty or neglect, but as a good neighbour lending a hand until they can get to grips with their difficult circumstances.....?

Another vote here for taking the dog in as a foster arrangement with a view to it being permanent if no other home is found. You could suggest it would save the relatives the bother of feeding/locking the dog up at night/letting out in the morning until it is rehomed.

I can see it might be a tricky situation if it's not the 'done thing' where you live, but if you know the dog is obviously unhappy and needs some TLC then you'll be doing the right thing.

Maybe they dont know what to do for the best either

I would have a word with the person who lets the dog in and ot and see if they can get hold of the family for you to offer a home to the dog

They may well be relieved that its one less thing to think of after all f they decide to sell the house how will they explan the sitting tennant?

Hi Colin,

I tend to agree with the others here but bearing Cinnamon's advice in mind. Tomorrow, leave a note saying you are happy to foster/rehome the dog and have taken him to your house in the short term. You need to be proactive to get a response and chances are the niece will bite your hand off(sorry for the bad taste pun there).

I am half Irish and can remember only too well from my childhood days that the animals were for practical purpose only. Interestingly, my mother, the Irish half, will not eat chicken!!Bad memories of her childhood. The dogs were loved but had to work for their keep.