BocBoc

New girls arriving on Friday - eek!

After the saga of losing some of our girls last year, we are currently down to two chickens. When we had four chickens we bought a run extension - but sadly two died before we added it the standard run. We really want to be back up to a flock of four but after advice from you guys on here we were put off by the integration of two new hens to our existing two.

Well, some chicken friends of ours (one of whom is a vet) have a large flock of ex-batts and have asked if we'd like to take a pair off their hands to make a bit of extra room in their chicken enclosure.

We don't have the money (or the room) to set up any additional housing for the newcomers and our friends just looked at us gone out when I said that we need a couple of weeks to integrate them. They have kept chickens for years and everytime they get new ones, they just put them in with the exsiting flock whilst they are in bed and never had any problems.

So, Anna and Margot the newbies are arrving under the cover of darkness on Friday night, straight into the Eglu with Mittens and Agnes. OH and I are at home all weekend and will be supervising with water pistol at the ready.

Wish us luck!

Good Luck - I've also used the 'bung them in when "Ooops, word censored!"ody's looking' technique as well, at night, and its always worked for me. Although before I get told off, I do, of course, usually use the 2 week separation in case there's illness, followed by 1 week side by side but still in separate runs, followed by the bunging in, method.

I used garden canes quite effectively to separate my Eglu run when Pansy came to live with us....everything went to pot when the fox came visiting and spooked Kipper enough to force her way through the divide and ever since they have lived together without too much aggro. But I really recommend them to start with. After they mingled there was still a little "assertiveness" on Kipper's part about who is boss , but no feathers taken or blood drawn..mostly just an "I am taller than you"competition (which I can't see how Kipper won every time as she is a Goldline and Pansy is a HUGE (in comparison) Light Sussex..It's now just over three weeks and harmony reigns in my henhouse... Kipper is officially the taller hen.. and Pansy doesn't care as long as Kipper leaves her to eat the carrot in peace. Tomorrow I have corn on the cob for the first time since I have had them both...methinks it may be slightly more fraught!!

I used garden canes quite effectively to separate my Eglu run when Pansy came to live with us....everything went to pot when the fox came visiting and spooked Kipper enough to force her way through the divide and ever since they have lived together without too much aggro. But I really recommend them to start with. After they mingled there was still a little "assertiveness" on Kipper's part about who is boss , but no feathers taken or blood drawn..mostly just an "I am taller than you"competition (which I can't see how Kipper won every time as she is a Goldline and Pansy is a HUGE (in comparison) Light Sussex..It's now just over three weeks and harmony reigns in my henhouse... Kipper is officially the taller hen.. and Pansy doesn't care as long as Kipper leaves her to eat the carrot in peace. Tomorrow I have corn on the cob for the first time since I have had them both...methinks it may be slightly more fraught!!

Sorry to hijack BocBoc!

Bless her.............Pansy has loved corn on the cob since she was a diddy chick smaller than the half cob I attached to their run! It's amazing to see "little chook syndrome" in action..the Pekins are full of it...when they have a piece of chicken wire to protect them!!

I take it Pansy's leg is ok after taking on the cage & losing? One of them, not sure which one, got their head stuck in the run wire somehow when they were very tiny, daft little noodle, I managed to get it out & the matter was never mentioned again!! Give them a snuggle from me xx

BocBoc, I used the "sneak em in under the cover of darkness" when I had 2 sets of baby Pekins to mix & no extra housing, but in comparison the eglu & run was huge and they were very tiny...8 weeks old...and arrived within a day or two of each other...I covered them all in red mite powder so they all smelt the same & apart from a little argybargy there was no problem...all the others have been introduced under the quarantine & separate housing etc for a few weeks, FR together then let them make the "sleepover" decision themselves. Obviously I've been very lucky to have extra housing & a big garden to allow this to happen.

I would say that nighttime is not the problem, it's the daytime where you may have to resort to the garden cane route for a while, so they'll be fine to be bunged in at dusk, but be prepared for a period of removing the newbies....or equally the old girls...or alternate them..into the other end of the run whilst you are at work & unable to be on hand with the water pistol.

Also be sure that you have extra food & water bowls so "Ooops, word censored!"ody can stop the others from eating & drinking.

Good luck with your intros, I remember your tribulations from last year, you need a peaceful integration.

Sha x

We think that we might just try the sneak them in after dark approach ... we had three new girls in December, and separated them for a couple of weeks, but these will come from the same place, so I'm not so anxious about quarantine ... and as we've started rebuilding the veg garden I can't give over the same amount of space to newbies ... hmm ... still thinking about it!

Good luck Annie,

I've never had anything horrible happen but you do get a few days of bossiness just to sort out the pecking order - it just has to happen. :!:

We picked up 12 ex batts on saturday, they are in the end of my top shed so seperate from my others and have a heat lamp 'cus they are mega bald but there are 2 bossy girls amongst them, they'll get it sorted and then they'll go in with my older ones and it will have to change again. :wall:

Just leave em to it but keep an eye on them.

Let us know how you get on.

Dyan x

Things are never straight forward are they?!!

Went as planned to pick upo the new girls on Friday. We picked a healthy looking one with loads of new feathers (Margot) and a rather scratty looking thing (Anna). As we brought them up to the house to be boxed up, Steve noticed what looked like a red mite on his thumb. So, we came away without them. The owners gave them (and everything else) a good dusting with red mite powder, boxed up Anna and Margot again and brought them to us last night - straight into the Eglu they went - all was fine.

Up I get this morning to let them out into the run - I stayed outside for about 15 minutes and everything seemed fine so I came back indoors and kept a regular eye on them. Still everything fine so I went off and peeled some spuds for dinner. Went back to check on them a few mins later and heavens! Poor Aggy was being pinned down by both newcomers and being pecked to high heaven. Mittens was just looking on helpless and confused.

I didn't want to intervene but banged on the window and that stopped it. Agnes and Mittens were completely freaked out by it and hid in the Eglu - when they did come out into the run they were just running up and down the sides. The newbies are fine, scratching, eating and drinking. Agnes is constantly making a very odd squarking noise that's not stopped since I let them out first thing.

Anyway, I've gone completey soft and taken Aggy and Mittens out to free range. They have a pellets and water and I've made a temporary nesting box in a corner with cardboard box and some straw.

Poor Agnes won't stop making noise and Mittens just looks confused. It's about egg laying time now and I think that's causing some distress. I think I'm more distressed than anyone else!!

I wouldn't leave them together after what has happened, and I wouldn't leave them free because of foxes. Why not try dividing the run and putting a cat carrier in for the new girls.

It took mine about a month to get used to eachother and if I'd put them in straight away I'm sure there would have been some nasty injuries. :(

Hi Plum,

Ours free range all day during the weekend (always have)- we only have a small garden so can keep an eye on them - I'm not worried about foxes here during the day - too much activity (we live in a mid terrace in a busy area).

There's been no blood drawn so I'm tempted to put them back in together for a short period and see how it goes - I can take them out again if need be.

On the plus sid, the new girls who are Very Wary of humans have been eating grapes from my hand already :) :)

A water pistol (or in my case a spray bottle of water) is handy to stop attack or pecking just use it when you see them get that look in their eye. :D Mine soon came down from nasty mode when they had a squirt or two in the face, then just in their direction they gave up. Now if I pick it up I get the evil eye. :lol:

Focus or pets at home do a small rabbit type run that's under £50.

Another thought is make sure that you have perches for them to jump out of the way on such as a broom handle across the run, plastic crate, footstool, upside down plant pots. That really helped mine when they were nervous. That was the new ones though not the oldies. :D

I really would keep them apart but next to eachother to get familiar for a week or two, then freerange together before being together in the day. Probably ok at night. It would be so distressing to find blood drawn or one killed. :(

Best of luck whatever you decide. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

On second thoughts just put OH in the eglu :lol:

Day 2 - and all is going ok! Things calmed down a lot by mid afternoon yesterday. Things aren't 100% yet - we've had a little bit of pecking but nothing too horrid. No blood anywhere and all girls have access to food and water. I gave the girls a melon this afternoon and all four were eating together fine :clap:

The water pistol is a good idea (we picked up that tip last time) and although it was used LOADS yesterday, we've hardly used it today.

Fingers crossed day three will be a good one :)

Things are still not 100% but we are definitely getting there - we even had three eggs yesterday :D

There is still a wee bit of pecking going on but it's getting less each day. I'll post some pics up after the weekend - Anna is really scratty so I'm hoping to take some before and after type pics. I'm sure she will look much tidier by the summer :)