snaps

identical chickens

When we first got our two Light Sussexes, Clover and Lupin, they were easy to tell apart as Lupin had a floppy comb. Now their combs have both grown back to full size again after their moult and they're both a bit floppy and are impossible to tell apart by appearance. They are fairly similar in personality too and now I realise how much character we assigned to each just through being able to tell them apart.Roger thinks that we ought to be able to get a leg ring for one of them but we're not too sure about this.

Has anyone got any ideas for easy identification? Can hens wear leg rings?

Two of mine are very similar at 1st glance, but Kentucky has dark grey legs and Paxo has yellowy grey...if you can picture such a colour. Also, I have recently realised that in profile, Kentucky has a more square look to her tail, whereas Paxo's is pointy.

If you look at your girls, you might be able to pick out subtle differences too.

Oh and yes, you can get leg rings. I think you have to buy them by the hundredweight though!! :lol:

i have 9 hens, and a few are now very similiar, so we did buy some leg bands in different colours so we could tell them apart. I got ours from a seller on ebay- try searching leg bands/chicken bands/turkey bands etc. they were(I think) about £1.50-£2 for a dozen . Be aware though that they come in different sizes,if your girls have bigger legs some will be too tight, we bought bands in 3 sizes so we had a good selection to fit different hens. Its a good idea to be able to identify a particular bird from another, specially if you have to administer a treatment of some kind- you can be sure you dont 'do' the same bird twice! :lol:

Yes, it was the possible treatment problem that I had in mind. Also, one is laying and one isn't and it would be nice to know which. By watching closely I thought it was Clover who was laying and Lupin who was messing about, sitting on the nest and pretending it was her egg. That was when one had a big comb and the other was still growing through. Now I really don't know.

Thanks for suggestions, everyone. I do agree that they have subtle differences but this often means seeing them together. Rapid identification in poor light can be very useful, though.

Will try and get some rings.

Thank you, Emma. One sleepy chicken successfully leg ringed. Now we know for sure she's Clover and is busy telling Lupin all about it judging by the squawky twitterings from the eglu:

"And then after they picked me up they put this blue ring on me - look!"

"What for?"

"Dunno but it's well cool, isn't it?"

"I think it looks silly."

"Youre just jealous."

"Not."

"Are."

"Push off - you're taking up all the room."

:D:D:D:D:dance:

glad you managed it lol

they doo seem to do some funny things you should have seen cocky when i put her anti pecking ring on her beak lol she wasnt impressed. it seemed to do the job as now we have taken it out to see if she would stop pecking the others and she seems to have stoped!

she was less pleased that we took it out lol

again all the best

emma

xx