chelsea

Digital SLR camera

OH has a birthday in two weeks time and he's been hinting about a digital SLR camera.

Any recommendations? Tips or hints?

He's seen a Sony A450 but to be honest I really don't know what I am buying...they all look the same to me. :roll:

Oh, and also what shop is best to buy from? (preferably online).

Ta muchly. :wink:

There are a lot of good SLR's out there and to be honest you probably can't go wrong with any of them.

However, if he is a keen photographer and knows a lot about photography, he might want one that offers him a good deal of manual control over the exposure and focus as well as all the automatic features that come with all the good cameras.

I have a Canon EOS50D which is a semi-pro model and probably a bit OTT. However, the other Canons e.g. EOS450D are also good.

If you go with Canon or Nikon you will get a much better choice of lenses from independent lens-makers than with a Sony or Panasonic. Some of the Sigma and Tamron lenses, for example, are very good value and score higher than manufacturers' own in tests. Canon also do a lot to ensure compatability with previous systems - I can actually use my old Canon lenses from my old A1 SLR with my new EOS if I want to.

I'm a Nikon girl too and as well as a couple of DSLRs I have an old F2,F4,and an F100.

My first DSLR was a D100 and it cost a fortune when it first came out. I think it's wonderful how digital has improved to be as good as film and has become so much cheaper.

What I DO HATE is that none of the new compacts are made with a viewfinder.

I think that is a good idea. The Canon EOS50D is a fantastic camera, but I have been doing SLR photography for *cough* years - more than 35 at any rate! It has so many settings on it that I can get confused at times, so it is better to go for something simpler to start out with as you can't really go wrong with them.

Canon do much simpler models - the EOS450D is a very good starting point.

They also take fantastic photos - here's a couple from the EOS50D, but you will get similar quality from the 450D or any of the Nikons.

painted-lady-underside-thistle.jpg

robin-g2.jpg

when i borrow it i set it to auto! :oops: (Not that technically minded either! LOL)

I'd say whatever model you go for, you can't go wrong with a Canon or a Nikon.

Canon cameras can use Nikon lenses, but Nikon cameras can't use Canon lenses, so you have some flexibility there when your skills increase and want to treat yourself to a new lens

Lovely photo.

Docsquid what type of lense do you need to take photos like that, I have just started out with a digital SLR and was thinking of asking for another lense when it is my birthday. I have a Nikon D3000 I think, I like it but do not know enough to know if it is a good camera or not yet.

Thanks

Chrissie

The Nikon D3000 is a good camera! I would definitely go with either Nikon or Canon because of the compatability of their lenses and the wide range of accessories available. Other makes are great cameras, but the independent lens-makers don't make many lenses for them.

At the moment, I am using a wide-range Tamron 18-270 macro zoom lens. The first photo is taken using the macro focus setting and the second is taken using the extreme end of the zoom setting. However, this is for convenience, as I am usually using the camera as well as working, and haven't got time to faff around changing lenses with mucky hands.

I would like a full macro (1:1 - the one I have is 1:3 which means the object is recorded at 1/3 size on the CCD), and a very big zoom (500mm plus) for wildlife, but these are expensive!

We have looked at both Nikon and Canon but he really wants the Sony one. :? Me - I can't tell the difference but the Sony one is cheaper :) (£319 with lense, memory card, bag & tripod). I suggested the other makes and he said he read up that the Sony one was idiot proof for a beginner.