Does anyone know if ferrets are dangerous to chickens??

One of our neighbours caught a ferret today and although i think it was probably a tame one as it allowed itself to be caught quite easily, it got CTB and I discussing whether ferrets were a danger to chickens..............

.........anyone know?????

I've looked this up in one of my books.

It says that Ferrets are basically domesticated Polecats. It mentions that Ferrets are traditionally used for flushing rabbits out of their burrows so that they can be caught. Doesn't mention poultry.....however....

Looking up Polecat - it says "Their return [into the UK] is by no means universally popular, for they are fearsome killers of poultry and young gamebirds..."

We've got three pet ferrets all hand tame, however I wouldn't let them get a whiff of our new hens. If they were hungry, then they would have a go! :shock: They are pretty fearless and the size of the hen would not put them off. An escaped ferret, no matter how tame, if its hungry would I'm sure attack a loose hen. A fully, fed fat ferret would just sleep! :shock: HTH

Ferrets make great pets BUT their instincts are to hunt so even a tame one is dangerous to other small furry and feathered creatures :shock:

Mine escaped once and was found in a garden sniffing round the chicken hutch :roll: I even had one have a go at one of my cats fortunately it was a long furred cat so it only got a mouthful of fluff :lol:

Don't trust them with anythjing basically :wink: