Tiggy Posted March 15, 2010 Share Posted March 15, 2010 an ex work mate of mine had an op on her painful bunions a few years ago when we worked together, she had the lot of us running around after her for weeks, non of us minded. Although we haven't worked together for about 2 years she sends me daft emails that need responses ' send back to me if you are still my friend' & if I dont , I get another e-mail. I've had 2 orthopaedic ops in the last 2 years & got back to work today after having my knee repaired 4 weeks ago, she knew I was going into hospital & I havent heard a thing from her. I got one of her daft emails today that she sends to everyone in her contact book, Im ashamed to say that I responded very badly sent it back ' where have you been for the last 4 weeks when I could have done with hearing from a friend. Oh well maybe the trash mail will stop comming now Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Seagazer Posted March 15, 2010 Share Posted March 15, 2010 Oh dear Tiggy, it seems a bit one-sided doesn't it? Perhaps she thinks you're a coper and wouldn't need any help? I have a relative like that though, never interested in whats going on in your life but full of their own. I just don't give as much back to her now, I think she's got the hint. I'm glad you've managed to get back to work, I take it the knee is all better? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted March 15, 2010 Share Posted March 15, 2010 A patient person pushed to the limit would probably respond the way you did, its ok and it happens Looks like the friendship had runs its course Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Looney Posted March 15, 2010 Share Posted March 15, 2010 Hopefully she will get the message! Some people don't realise just how much input/support they demand from others and it never occurs to them to do anything in return Hope your knee is ok. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted March 15, 2010 Share Posted March 15, 2010 I wouldn't waste any more energy on a fair weather friend such as this. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tiggy Posted March 15, 2010 Author Share Posted March 15, 2010 thanks everyone, I felt a bit guilty reacting like this, normally I just accept whatever folks throw my way, feel hurt but then recover & carry on as if nothing has happened. this time I recovered from my op really quickly & was able to get out & about so would have loved to see my friend but she kept away. Says it all really. My knee is doing fine, a bit sore when I've been on my feet for a while, still managed to clean out the hens, no one volunteered for that All told Ive done really well & hopefully this is the end of my trips to see the orthopods. If any of you have youngsters with slight talipees, make sure someone takes a good look at them. If mine had been corrected as a child I possibly would not have needed the more invasive surgery I had to have. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted March 15, 2010 Share Posted March 15, 2010 Glad to hear you're recovering, Tiggy . (I don't even know what talipees are so have no idea if my children have them or not .) I think your response is just what your friend needed. If she can't use a bit of introspection for a change and work out why you said it, she's probably not worth having as a friend . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tiggy Posted March 15, 2010 Author Share Posted March 15, 2010 talipees is where the foot is twisted out of line with the rest of your leg, causing you to to sprain your ankle repeatedly In sever cases it was known as club foot. It also means that the whole leg can then be out of line, so the knee & hip get strained & have uneven wear leading to early osteoarthritis Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted March 15, 2010 Share Posted March 15, 2010 ouch . ES sprained his ankle badly yesterday at football . First time though, so I'm assuming it's not talipees . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tiggy Posted March 15, 2010 Author Share Posted March 15, 2010 I remember my Mom complaining that I was a clumsy child that could fall over her own feet, which was exactly what I was doing these days it is normally picked up early and babies are put into plaster so that the soft bones in their legs can be moulded into the proper position without the need for surgery. they dont seem to mind it much, although its upsetting for the new Moms Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickyhazel Posted March 15, 2010 Share Posted March 15, 2010 Some "friends" are like that - I wouldn't bother with her. She clearly isn't that nice, and I don't blame you for snapping! Don't worry, it happens to everyone. Hazel, Ranger, Audi, Porsche, RIP Chetsnut Noodle No name yet - suggestions please! x1 x1 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted March 15, 2010 Share Posted March 15, 2010 I wouldn't worry - 'friends' like that you can do without. Glad to hear the op went well Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chucky1 Posted March 15, 2010 Share Posted March 15, 2010 I think ANH summed it up quite well. Good for you to not be pushed around or walked over (not sure which metaphor I'm mangling there). Glad your knee is getting better. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Olly Posted March 15, 2010 Share Posted March 15, 2010 Some friendships are for life, and we all know those when we see them; some are for years, and some really don't outlive the thing you had in common, like working together/going to the same evening class/etc. I do think work relationships are often like this, you have to get on with people when you're with them every day but actually you don't have much in common outside work. I also loathe those 'send this to seven wonderful women and send it back to me' type of emails, they are just as pernicious (in my view!) as the ones which threaten bad luck if you don't send them on. I delete them and get on with the important things in my life! Glad to hear the op went well, and you're better off without this 'friend' in my opinion. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickenNutter Posted March 15, 2010 Share Posted March 15, 2010 Just ditch her. Seemples Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tiggy Posted March 18, 2010 Author Share Posted March 18, 2010 no rubbish e-mails, so far so good, no apology either, looks like we both now know where we stand I will stop worrying about her now Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...