susan l

PHEW!!! Narrow escape!

Was just thinking that the girls had been having a lovely day foraging about but perhaps was time to go back in the run. Got some meal worms to tempt them back in with and approached the back door to see a fox crouching at the bottom of the garden ready to pounce! :shock: Heart in mouth I ran outside and it scarpered, LUCKILY Talullah and Betsy were blissfully unaware and happily went back to the safety of the run, so hoping egg laying wont be affected. Hubby has investigated the garden to see where the fox could have got in, thinks he knows but I am taking no chances. They will only be free ranging when we are in the garden with them and we will have to build a deluxe super big run. Sigh, was so enjoying them free ranging. Had to share the experience with you all, was a real heart-stopper! grr, evil nasty horrible fox :twisted:

That was close Susan, so glad your girls are OK! I think it's hard to imagine a fox in your garden until you've seen evidence. I'm convinced we won't have a problem, but reading about foxes being more active at this time of year, plus having seen yesterday the girls all alarming at something on the shed roof (all I got a glimpse off was something ginger as it disappeared from view), I'm inclined to be more cautious now!! :?

I think we have a fox watch in the garden, we moved here about 4 months ago and have inherited a lot of stuff that we have no idea about. I'll go and investigate later! thanks for the tip. Please, do take this as a warning, I had seen no evidence of foxes in the garden and was pretty sure it was fox proof, but it just shows you really can't be sure. Am SO relieved I spotted it on time, or I'm sure I'd be weeping over my keyboard as we speak (OH has just asked if a foxwatch is like having Bill Oddie living in the garden... :roll: ). Ah well, another day, another vermin attack foiled :)

What a nasty shock, Susan! Please, please everyone, don't take any risks ... I have only had my girls a week, but I decided before they came that they would only free-range if I am out in the garden with them. Even though I haven't seen a fox since I moved here in November, I am sure there will be one around.

In my last home, in a very urban area, the garden was surrounded on all sides by six-foot fences, and with no other access - yet I regularly found a fox sleeping there in the afternoons. They can scale a 6' fence as easily (if less gracefully) than a cat, and squeeze through very small spaces.

There's a link, under a previous posting on foxes, to a fantastic document about urban foxes - basically you can deter them from living in your garden, or from using it as a pathway, but nothing will keep them out entirely.

Don't blame the fox, he's just doing what comes naturally - it's up to us as responsible owners to safeguard our chickens! I would love to let mine roam free all day, but it's not worth the risk. It only takes one fox, after all ... thank goodness you went out when you did.

I recently read that a product called Silent Roar which is essentially granulated lion poo and is used for keeping cats off gardens is believed by some to be successful at keeping foxes away.

The manufacturers don't make such claims, it is all ancedotal. Might be worth a try.

I keep meaning to order some.

Thanks again for all the replies, have been keeping an eye on the garden today, don't dare let the girls out! I've read the article on foxes posted on another thread, very useful and interesting. Haven't yet seen the fox today, but no doubt it'll come back to see if there are any chickens to be eaten! Egg laying continues as normal, so that's a small victory anyway.