Eggquisite

Alpacas - get our boys on the 31st March

Near here is an Alpaca mill where they process the fleeces. It is near Stowe/ Buckingham. I think that the lady there said that Alpacas were good for protecting the chickens from foxes. Came home and suggested this might be a good idea but OH said no! In truth we don't have enough space but they are just lovely.

Its not far from me either.... now i wonder if i can try that one on my husband....

also investigating angora goats....

The amount of people at the farm that insist the angoras are sheep! :lol:

Are you thinking about both or one?

The llama at the farm is in the field next to the goats + sheep sometimes, but separated by livestock fencing ... don't know if they can be kept together though, can't see why not :lol:

ooh just found this, and I am SO jealous!! they are just beautiful.

I've also heard the fox thing, and quite fancy being able to take them for little walks on the beach along with the dog... just need to convince OH that they would be NO trouble at all really, and then slip them in when he's not looking :lol:

please may I ask some questions?

- how many do you need - would 2 be enough for a 'herd''?

- how long do they live on average?

- are they good at keeping the grass down?

- are they ok with dogs/cats?

- how much space do you need, and do you have to rotate the grazing?

- do you need horse electric fencing or is chicken netting ok?

- do they need shearing or just grooming?

- if shearing, are you going to do it or get someone in? (I could get someone from the kids' school farm to do it...)

- is there a market for the fleece? wouldnt be making anything with it myself...

thanks in advance!

I'm not very qualified just know from looking after one at the farm, hopefully get better answers soon :lol:

- how many do you need - would 2 be enough for a 'herd''?

2 or 3 would probably be ok :)

- how long do they live on average?

Can live well into their late teens

- are they good at keeping the grass down?

Do keep the grass down :)

- are they ok with dogs/cats?

They get on with the farm dogs + cats - might need to check the other way round that they'd be ok with the alpaca :lol:

- how much space do you need, and do you have to rotate the grazing?

Not sure on space, they don't wreck the grass though - poo in one corner too so you can just shovel it up

- do you need horse electric fencing or is chicken netting ok?

'We' use high (6ft) livestock fencing - could probably push through chicken wire. Treat them the same as goats/sheep

- do they need shearing or just grooming?

Shearing once a year, grooming for showing and things like that. Check their feet + teeth at the same time :)

- if shearing, are you going to do it or get someone in? (I could get someone from the kids' school farm to do it...)

People tend to get someone in rather than DIY, but shearers can have a minimum number to make it worth them coming + setting up. Can always find someone local + get them done at the same time :)

- is there a market for the fleece? wouldnt be making anything with it myself...

Can sell/give it away for making anything you can make out of wool :)

I'd make sure you get one already halter trained, or young enough for you to do it yourself and keep up with it 'cos they can forget quite quickly + you're back at the start again.