Egluntyne

Have you seen....

We've decided we can't grow our own. I wouldn't let them go and don't want to move that next step really. Mikey would be working away so would need me to feed and tedn them so I'd just get attached. Well that's how i feel today but I have said never before and ...well... :oops:

BBx

We watched it as well (although Dan is a little squemish)

I didn't appreciate the skill involved.

Will definitely watch again

I had a quick look on the website and it doesn't mention chickens, only cows, sheep and pigs, so I'm not sure if they have a chicken episode

Hi Debs. The website is really confusing. There will be a chicken one but it doesn't list it. It has one of the episodes down twice instead of the chicken one being listed. It doesn't give a time for a chicken show, and I can't find it on the T.V guide. Hopefully the website will become clearer, or maybe there will be an advert after the pork one on Wednesday!

Watched it whilst having my lunch(!)

I was mightily impressed by the quiet and respectful professionalism of the slaughtermen.

I did find the forlorn looks on the faces of the cattle difficult to handle, It brought home to me what beautiful sentient beings they are.

I also found the events immediately after the stunning pretty difficult.

I am reinforced in my decision not to eat meat.

Edited by Guest

I have just tried to watch it, but I am afraid I switched it off. I now feel really shaky.

I watched the cow being stunned and bled, saw the head come off and then the legs. I couldn't watch any more, although I'm interested in the skills involved.

Those men weren't even wearing gloves! I could NOT do that job!

Ginette - you've watched the worst bit already! It's not as bad from then on! :lol:

I just couldn't take any more! I guess that's why I'm a vegetarian too.

The Radio Times says it's a 3-part series - cows, lambs and pigs. It doesn't mention chickens, although clearly chickens have featured in the advertising. :?

I watched it.

For me there are many important factors with animals reared for meat. I found the slaughter process interesting to watch but it's only part of the process. The animals have to have been raised with care, dignity and freedom. Their journey to slaughter must be stress free and their death quick and stress free.

Missed tonights, had a meeting. But been thinking about last nights again, trying to work out how I really felt ... :roll:

It didn't disturb me, but then again it did and I couldn't figure out why. Then I realised that it was how quickly it was butchered after death - remember the bit where the muscles were still twitching whilst hanging from the hook? Yes it was dead, but the life hadn't quite gone out of it. Maybe it's just me, but the more I think about that bit, the more uncomfortable I feel. As if it blurs the line between life and death. :roll: And on that note I'm going to bed - my head hurts! :D