SarahCavy

Gaps in door

Just wanted to say my Eglu went back because of the door. The gap down the side of the door on the hinged side is quite gappy and my worry is that is could be easy for a mice to get through? I understand it is done like that for ventilation but if the gap was half what it is at the moment, I personnally would be happier! The second Eglu I had was the same. I am just so, so disappointed as other than that, it is PERFECT!

Edited by Guest

Has anyone else had this problem, I haven't ordered my eglu yet but would want the door to be secure to keep my Bunnies dry.

I think the Mark 3 is for the Chicken eglu as far as I am aware the current rablu is the first one not sure about the guinea pig one though.

What did omlet say about the problem, could it just be a faulty batch?

Apparently they are designed like this and the large vertical gap on the hinge side is there for airflow. However, it also has other ventilation holes at the top which of course is necessary as well. They have said that the large gap by the hinge doesn't give direct draught which I am sure is correct but I have to say if the gap was half the size, it would be much more acceptable to me for me Guins! There wouldn't be any danger at all of your rabbits getting wet though and I am sure they would love it!

Edited by Guest

That picture looks exactly the same as mine Sarah.

I read your original post and when I went home at lunchtime, I looked at my eglu and the rablu. Twiddling with the door mechanism, I decided that if the door fitted any closer to the main body of the eglu, then it probably wouldn't be able to swing open.

My bunnies love their pink rablu, but then they don't need shutting in at night. I used to keep GPs and yes, they are less hardy than bunnies, but the hutch they had then was far more draughty than the guinlu.

I don't think that it's a fault, just the way that it is designed so that it works properly. Having said that, if you're not happy, then you were right to send it back and just put it down to experience - it's all personal choice after all.

Hugs to your lovely GPs

I can see your concerns Sarah. We have loads of mice in our garden - they nest in the woodpile, and I haven't yet seen any in the rablu or the run. In fact they would be far more likely to get into the wooden hutch that I have as reserve.

We always used to bring our guineas into the summerhouse for the winter - they hate the cold, and damp weather like we have now is disastrous for their health.

Spoke to hubby last night and he said it would be easier enough to put some folding plastic draught excluder on it which would probably cut the gap down by half so I am going to do this just up half the hinge as otherwise it's such a fab product! -

I'll definately be getting another one next year.

Edited by Guest