Hello.

I have decided to get a couple of chickens and was about to purchase an Eglu Classic and then noticed the Eglu Go and besides the obvious differences of the shape and the position/numbers of doors - i don't really know how to choose between them.

I don't have any previous chicken experience and therefore can't appreciate the specifics and what they imply.

I just want cleaning and feeding to be as easy as possible and for the chickens to be happy and safe.

What are the pros and cons of each when compared to each other?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum :D

I have both, the main thing is looks really :lol: - when I first saw it I didn't really like look of the Go but its really grown on me now :lol:

They're made out of different plastics - the classic is quite rubbery + smooth, but the Go is harder and has a rougher surface.

The Go base pulls out compeletely in a tray + roosting bars, where as the classic has a separate nest box but still pull out poo tray.

I think the Go is easier to clean out because the whole base comes out to tip into the compost and then just wash it with the hose :)

The classic slopes down at the back and has a round base but the Go has a flat back and wide base so the floor space is probably a bit bigger, but its much of a muchness :lol:

Bad thing about the Go I think is that there is no egg port if you want to put it in a corner, but I can reach in the front or just open the back door :) - best thing compared to the classic is probably that you can have the run door in different places :)

Oh and I prefer the classic grub + glugs too, but thats just me again :P

Where abouts are you - might be able to go + visit one to see what you think :)

Thanks for the reply.

I'm based near to Ashbourne. We did go to a chicken beginners class and they had a classic but not a go.

Putting the looks of each one aside - if you could only use either the Go or the Classic which would you use?

Putting the looks of each one aside - if you could only use either the Go or the Classic which would you use?

Hard question :lol:

For the chickens ... I'd probably use the classic because they seem to like the nest box.

For the ducks - definately the Go, because its so easy to clean out + they're really messy!

It is really the shape things that differs. Both are similar in practise.

If you don't have much room, then in theory, the Go would be best as you can put the run door anywhere.

The Go's colour panels can be changed, if you fancy doing that, where as you can't with the classic. I like the classic's eggport, easy to get the eggs in the morning. The Go you have to turn the handle at the back to release the drop down door and put out the roosting bars and nest box.

Difficult isn't it?? Good luck though!

I was torn too when I bought mine...

The local Poultry Centre had the Go on display !gogreen! and it looked good and seemed easy to clean.

In the end, I bought the Classic (red eglu) ...and I love it. It's great for me as I have back problems and everything is in 'steps'...egg port for eggs...base tray for pooh...roasting bars to wipe...I don't have to take the whole tray out to do one thing. Also, with the Classic, I can leave the hens inside, quickly check they're ok through the egg port or empty the base after nightfall (so don't have to turf out roosting hens!) which will be great in winter.

I have a !gored! and a (cube blue) with 3m run. I love the !gored! so much that I kept it when I got the (cube blue) It is so easy to clean and looks good. The only thing with the Go that i dont think anyone has mentioned yet (forgive me if I'm wrong) is that you cant buy extensions for the run just yet so you could only really keep 2 chooks in it.

If money isn't so much an object (and I know I'm throwing a spanner in the works here) I would try and go for a cube. I was torn between spending the extra money and plumbed for a !gored! Fortunately I got a bargain with the cube but still ended up spending the same amount in total as I would have if I had bought a new cube. Simply because I couldn't bare to get rid of the !gored! One thing is with the any of the Eglu products is that they hold their value for second hand sale. You really can't lose on any of them if at the end of it, you find chicken keeping isn't for you!! (AS IF!!! :lol::lol: )

Chicken keeping is VERY :lol: addictive, I started out with 4, 1 died a month later. If it wasn't for the fact that we are going away in May, I would have already got another 3 chooks and another run extension. Thanks to "Redwings" fantastic advice, I now have the perfect introduction home in my !gored!

Sorry for going on a bit :oops: