Simon_and_Lynda

Travelling with chickens

I have two boxes i bought from the Domestic Fowl Trust that i transport mine in and they are great.

I suppose any box with a secure lid will do though :D

Not too sure about leaving them in the eglu as if you take a corner too fast they may lose their balance more easily and bash up the inside of the eglu. :?

You can always wedge boxes in the footwell of the rear of the car

When I acquired my second group of hens I got them from Sherburn In Elmet which is a good hour from Sheffield. I put them in cardboard carrying boxes which were £2 each from a Pets R Us type place. The were absolutely fine.

I think they would be unsafe in the Eglu as they could be buffetted about. They were snug and quiet in the carrying boxes.

Hi

I would think they would be fine popping them into the eglu for the journey as long as the eglu is securely tucked into the car in some way so that it can't move about. I have recently aquired 3 girls who travelled from Horsham to Guildford in their orange bedroom and they were fine. When we opened the eglu they were all sitting down and not stressed at all. Not sure of the length of the journey but I would think equivalent to the proposed journey for your girls. I think that as they will be in relative darkness they will settle down for the journey so no dagner of bashing up the inside of the eglu :wink: . Plus maybe being in surroundings they know may also have helped.

Anyway Emma - does your posting about taking corners too fast reflect the way you drive :wink::wink: Surely not :!::!:

E

Anyway Emma - does your posting about taking corners too fast reflect the way you drive :wink::wink: Surely not :!::!:

E

Oh no you have found me out! :oops::oops::lol::lol::lol:

Oh yes, I've heard about your driving, in fact it's infamous: :!::wink: As my mum always used to tell me when I was a wee girl (a fair few years ago now!) and suspected I'd been up to no good (unbelievable!) 'be sure your sins will find you out' :):wink:

E

I think they would be unsafe in the Eglu as they could be buffetted about. They were snug and quiet in the carrying boxes.

Probably depends if you drive like Emma and take speedy corners :wink: Seriously, my new girls were fine travelling in the eglu but I think whatever way you decide to transport them, in the eglu or boxes, going steady with the driving is obviously a big consideration.

E

I've chicken-sat twice, and the first timethe chickens arrived in their Eglu, after an hours drive, the second time they arrived in cat baskets. Neither seemed any happier, or more upset, than the other.

When we have brought chickens home, we have always bought them from a breeder about 90 minutes drive from the house, and we have brought them home in abox. As long as there is enough ventilation for them, and not enough room for them to be thrown about, then I don't think they are too bothered!

Here's the update.

I decided to put them in a box, so got one ready; poked air holes in it, put in a nice bed of straw and then tried to put the chickens in it.

Oops. They are much bigger than I had expected, and wouldn't really fit in it together without really cramming them in :(

So, into the eglu they went.

And they were fine...in fact, weren't that keen to leave.

Happily, they were not too traumatised as about an hour and a half after getting there one of them laid an egg. Then the other the next day and our first two egg day yesterday (shame we missed it).

Anyway, I was careful not to drive like Emma, so I think that's the secret!!!

Simon