Liz Steed

Big Decision

OK....I've decided to go for it....I'm going to increase my brood (2nd year production etc etc....that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :wink: ).

I've rung around and there's a nice sounding lady near Great Dunmow who has a good range of hybrids, good layers and nice and docile, so I think I might pay her a visit in the next couple of weeks :dance: (I wanna go today, I wanna go today...)

{*working out how many hens can be crammed in an (green eglu) *} :think::think:

Liz, is your (green eglu) a mark 1 or mark 2?

I used to have 5 big fat hens that lived quite happily in their mark 2 - they would get out, and were never confined to the run though, as that would just not be big enough!

I've got a Mark 2 and I shall prob get a run extension as they can't always be out :cry:

I'd love another 2, but I shall prob only get 1 to see how it goes... but that means I've got to choose between a Bovans Amber, a Speckledy Star, a Bluebelle...the list goes on and on :roll::think:

It can depend on the chicken. We introduced 1 chicken literally about to lay an egg twice to two chickens twice. We did this is a large area to allow them space. First time Beth was younger but more developed and took charge of the 2 unlaying hens. Second time Katy got chased for about 3 weeks by T&S then it was OK.

T&S were scaredy cats though :roll:

We added 2 younger ones to Trinny and Katy late December and Megan is still fairly immature and they still get the odd sharp peck (no damage) or run/are chased away from the older ones. Age and personality can be important too.

I think it must be, we already have names for our new hens and we haven't even got them yet :oops:

Me too!! And Ive contacted Garden poultry to find out what they will have in stock - Im after a white star and a marans starlight for the different coloured eggs!! our run will be about 75 sq ft - will that be enough for 5 hens do you think?

Go for it! Three years ago (in June)I bought my first eglu and two omlet hens.I was instantly smitten. This weekend I added four more gorgeous hens to my little flock, taking me up to 13 hens in total! Each one is a proper little character, and I adore them all. the more I have the more I want! I wish you well with increasing your little flock too! :lol:

Edited by Guest