Christian

Broody hen?

Is it normal that when you pick them up off the nest they just go floppy and sit on the floor?

Yep, we tried getting Su to stand by raising and lowering onto her feet but not very successfully, and she snubbed treats. :shock: They are quite trancelike, but cuddly :D

Yes they stay in day and night and the holes in the basket allow air to circulate particulary underneath where they sit on the eggs and build up heat.

I think we put the cage outside during the day, then brought in at night as I was worried about foxes and my huge cage wouldn't fit in the omlet run!

The other chickens kept trying to get food out of the cage when they got the chance-opportunists :roll:

We gave in and tried the broody cage after 3-4 weeks when it was clear she was not going to snap out of it and more importantly was still not eating. I bought a cage for a small dog (!) and turned it upside-down so there was mesh on the bottom, and we put roosting bars in so she wouldn't go straight through the holes :shock:

I think I did actually feed layers mash with some treats (barley/fruit/veg?) and left out water.

I think we built up a better relationship afterwards. She still didn't like being picked up, but could be herded/lured back into the pen. She did stand next to me and give me looks when I took eggs out of the nest for ages afterwards. :roll:

Difficult creatures!! I only have a small wooden ark, so am loathed to seperate the 2 as I dont want difficulties re-introducing them... I suppose if I put her in a broody cage in the greenhouse, she will be dry, and Speck can roost with her at night, (I can shut the greenhouse up), would that be ok?

:oops: for worrying so much... I am trying to stop myself from worrying she is ill!

:lol: I did try the cooling them down by picking them up & then making them fly down to the ground a few times. I don't think that is cruel, and works for some if done early enough. But I do mean just let them flap down from waist height, not an actual throw! :shock: I think it just cools their underside a bit.