Christian

Broody hen?

Hi All!

Babs has been funny for a couple of days now :?

She has been laying since the 22/07/06 and generally lays 6-7 days per week.

She is the bully of the group and had a bumper bit fitted for a few months. The feather pecking has more or less stopped now. She actually seems to be moving down the pecking order as lets the others have treats first without 'muscling' in :shock:

Yesterday and today she wouldn't get off the nest. She had two eggs under her yesterday so I removed them and she was fine. Scratching around etc.

Today she hasn't laid, but was sitting on Shirleys egg, which I removed.

She is all puffed up, vent is clear and looks healthy as I first thought she had an egg stuck. Can't see any evidence of this. She keeps chirping and cute bok bok noises, but seemed quite put out when I lifted her off the nest.

I didn't want to lock her out of the eglu as Laverne hasn't laid yet today, but Have just closed the door. There is a flower pot in the run filled with hay, so Laverne could lay there.

Any ideas? Is she broody? AnnieP mentioned that they sometimes remove their breast feathers when broody, but she hasn't done this yet.

If illness has been ruled out I would say Babs is broody.

Buttercup is always going broody, about 4 times last year :roll: She flattens herself into the nestbox and refuses to budge. The others lay their eggs on top of her :roll: I have never noticed Buttercup removing feathers from her breast.

When Buttercup is broody I remove her from the nestbox first thing and close the Eglu door whilst the chickens have something to eat and drink. As soon as the door is opened Buttercup dives in to the nestbox. When the others have laid Buttercup is removed again and the door closed until it is time to roost. A flowerpot is put in the nestbox to stop her getting comfy at night. Sometimes I leave the eggport door off to cool Buttercup down during the day (the Eglu is in a pen so the Chickens cannot escape through the eggport and into the garden).

Buttercup's broodiness lasts between 3 days and 3 weeks depending on her mood :roll: It takes her another 2 weeks to get back to laying :roll:

You can cool a broody Chicken down by dunking her bottom in a bucket of cold water (I have never tried this). Using a boody cage..... an all wire cat carrier is what I have used. The carrier is suspensded in the pen and Buttercup stays there for about 48 hours (with food and water of course) The cool air or breeze cools her down (Might be a tad cold this time of year to do this :shock: ) Another method is to hold the Chicken in both hands at waist height facing away from you. Gently throw her away from you. The chicken will flap her wings and this action is supposed to cool them down. This had no effect on Buttercup whatsoever.

This time of year I would go for the removal from the Eglu method.

Good luck :D

Thanks for the advice Eglutine and Ali.

I let her back in the eglu for 20 mins as she was creating! :roll:

She is now out and about after laying an egg, so maybe she was having difficulty yesterday and today???

She was def acting like a broody hen, so will keep an eye on her for the next few days.

thanks again

:)

She is broody again! No egg from her or laverne today, but caught her nesting on Shirley's egg! :roll: I have removed it and locked her out of the eglu, but she is nesting in the aubiose now :roll: ! AND making a racket.

We are back to chirping and cute bok bok noises again. I take it that they don't lay when broody? Laverne hasn't laid for 2 days which is the first 2 day break since we got her back in July. I'm not concerned about the eggs just as long as the girls are ok?

I took Babs off the nest and examined her. She is quite warm, her vent is light pink and moist, so I assume there isn't an egg stuck. Thought this might be why she kept on going back to the nest box.

Hi Emma. The only reason I am concerned is that she was on the nest for 2 hours before she laid an egg. Is this normal for broody hens or am I over reacting?

(surely not :roll::lol::wink: )

I sooooo tired! mowed the lawn, dug over some beds, planted seeds, tidied shed, chased laverne with purple spray, Babs in and out, gave Shirley a big cuddle - first time ever- yippee!

Hi Christain,

Having never had a broody hen im not really sure at all, i thought they usually went broody in the summer when i was warmer but maybe not :?

I would keep a special eye on her if you are around in the mornings just to make sure she is ok.

Sounds like you have had a hectic day and are in need of a stiff drink! 8)

my girls are always on the nest box for ages when they are laying...over an hour at least.

Put your feet up now Christian, you've had a productive day :D

I think its the weather that makes us busy...its been lovely here and we've done loads around the house.

Hi Emma. The only reason I am concerned is that she was on the nest for 2 hours before she laid an egg. Is this normal for broody hens or am I over reacting?

(surely not :roll::lol::wink: )

I sooooo tired! mowed the lawn, dug over some beds, planted seeds, tidied shed, chased laverne with purple spray, Babs in and out, gave Shirley a big cuddle - first time ever- yippee!

Broody hens stop laying eggs completely, fluff up into a ball, and strut round making cluck cluck noises if off the nest, they literally stay all day and only move about once a day to eat, poo and go back. Their tummy underneath will be very hot over the eggs and this is the bit they pluck.

I've had hens take ages on the nest before, could be a big egg, or soft egg? Depends if she looked ill or not, if not then it's probably OK

(I always spot the second a chicken looks less than perfect and spend the next 24 hours worrying and planning how I will nurse them back to health :roll: )

I would love to sit down for a bit, but OH is having a bad day and I have to cook dinner now. Not that i'm complaining - its not his fault.

Will light the fire in a bit and chill out with Grow your own magazine :D

I've just read the broody stickies (should have checked those earlier :roll:) and it does seem like she is broody-ish. Will keep an eye on her for the next few days and see.

Thanks! :D

Sounds like she is - I had four broodies at once last year :roll: The treatment mentioned above is what I would recommend, I have a wire pet carrier that I use, but I try to let them brood for a week just to give them a break from laying, them bung them in the broody cage for a couple of days until they stop hogging the nest. Should then take them a couple of weeks to get back into laying.

It's good for them to have a rest from laying every now and then though.

UPDATE

I picked her off the nest again this afternoon and she has pulled feathers out of her breast area. You cant see the bald bit when she is standing up, but i guess when she flattens herself on the nest the skin would touch the eggs.

The only thing is that whenever i take her off the nest, she happily wanders around for a couple of hours before trying to get back on! maybe she is semi-broody! :?

Back to work tomorrow for 5 days so will have to deal with it when I get home.

Thanks again for the advice! :D

Hi

Have just skimmed through the posts on this, and just want to add my bit (although its prob been said by someone wiser than me already :oops: )

Does she look like a pufferfish (I had a pufferfish pepperpot (new breed!!) PP:shock::shock::shock: on and off all last summer) I panicked like mad the first time it happened :oops: but by the 4th time over the summer I was just accepting it.

I found that locking her out of the eglu, tho it seems rotten, was a good idea, also making sure she couldn't get in the nest at night by sticking a large flowerpot in there!!!

My GNR laid in the run if she had to, which didn't bother her, cos when they have to go, THEY HAVE TO GO, locked door or not, but if I saw that she wanted to lay, I let her in and locked the door after her to stop old pufferfish sneaking in behind her :roll:. Its quite an experience trying to get an egg out from half way down the run! :D

It seemed to follow a pattern...nice warm day... PP puffing up all the time and constantly going bok,bok,bok,bok, whilst not budging from the nest. If I nipped it in the bud, by shutting her out of the eglu in the day and restricting her access to the nesting box at night, it would go on for about a week or so, with the puffiness, straw throwing and bokking etc diminishing. She never went the full three weeks without laying.

Apparently dunking them in cold water helps, (not that I've tried it :shock: ) and I did swing her up and down so that she had to flap, so therefore cool off, but this seemed equally rotton. I think the idea of a cool pack in the nesting box sounds a GOOD idea, and I shall try that first if the same thing happens this year as it makes sense. The basic principles seem to be COOL THEM DOWN and KEEP THEM OFF THE NEST, the rest is just waiting for them to snap out of it.

Hope that helps x

Hi lIz.

I went to work on Wednesday and got home today, so have just caught up with your post. On wed morning it was really colg (I had to s"Ooops, word censored!" the wind screen). This cold weather has obviuosly had an effect on Babs as she is no longer broody! :D 2 eggs in 3 days!

If she starts again i will def try the cold pack idea!

Edited by Guest

Good news.

Incidently I tried the water dunking and Susannah went back to being broody within seconds afterwards. She did fluff back out like a pufferfish (like the description) :lol:

We ended up keeping her in a broody cage. It sounds mean, but if you compare that with the starvation andbeing prone to lice it seems better for her welfare as she could have gone on indefinately not eating, and didn't snap out of it after the magic 3 weeks. I did put spare roosting bars over the nest and she tried wedging herself down the side and the chickens somehow managed to move it completely in front of the door.

I found if just shut out of the nest Susannah just found a mud bath to sit in and made an extremely loud schreeching noise accompanied by viscious flapping, and spent the whole time trying to get back to the nest from all angles.

I read all this with great interest, my sussex bantam has gone broody. Shes all pathetic cuddly, and does puff herself up like a pufferfish (or a feathery pancake when sitting in the nest!) and I honestly dont know what to do for the best with her.

Do I leave her to get on with it (as I am at the moment... Speck is having hysterics as she wants to lay an egg in the nest but Freck is in the way!) or do I try to get something to act as a broody cage?

Do you leave them in a broody cage all day and night?

Oh what to do, what to do!! The vet (who came to see my horse...) was no help atall... I did suggest The Pill for chickens, which amused him highly... but no further suggestions.

If I shut her out of the ark, she is happy to wander about, but as soon as she sees you, she mithers infront of the ark door...

(sorry Christianl for posting this... )

No but I think I might... sounds the best out of the several options out there...

Is it normal that when you pick them up off the nest they just go floppy and sit on the floor? She got up and walked back to the ark door... and hopped up into the ark again normally. Oh poor girl...

(panicing? me? never!)

They can be a real nightmare when they go broody, so try the ice pack in a towel route before you try anything else. I tend to let mine brood for a week to rest them from laying, then pop them in the broody cage (night and day) for 2-3 days and that does the trick. I have a wire pet carrier (like the one below) and have attached feeders for water and corn; I raise it up on some bricks to encourage the airflow and put it in the run so that they can all see each other. After 3 days, I try her out and see if she heads for the nest.

ae_2.JPG