sallyhennypenny

Cockeral crowing in the eglu

I've had the man from the council on the phone - he has had "several" complaints from my neighbours regarding my crowing Black Orpington bantam cockeral.

He has suggested that I keep him in the eglu until 8am each morning - the problem is that this doesn't stop him crowing!

Does anyone have any suggestions of how to adapt an eglu to restrict the head room to prevent him crowing early in the morning? Or any other tips as to how to stop him crowing so early?

At the moment I am putting him in a rabbit hutch in the garage every evening after he has roosted. But he is not too impressed with this!

Many thanks

:D(green eglu)PPPPGNRGNR

I've had the man from the council on the phone - he has had "several" complaints from my neighbours regarding my crowing Black Orpington bantam cockeral.

He has suggested that I keep him in the eglu until 8am each morning - the problem is that this doesn't stop him crowing!

Does anyone have any suggestions of how to adapt an eglu to restrict the head room to prevent him crowing early in the morning? Or any other tips as to how to stop him crowing so early?

At the moment I am putting him in a rabbit hutch in the garage every evening after he has roosted. But he is not too impressed with this!

Many thanks

:D(green eglu)PPPPGNRGNR

Maybe if you covered the eglu with a thick blanket to keep the light out?

He may not like the hutch in the garage but it's probably the best answer.

Sunnyside - who posts in RC and Practical Poultry forums - lives in Birmingham, surrounded by close neighbours and she has a purpose built box in the cupboard under their stairs for her cockerel.

I'll post a link to her own site - I think she mentions it in there.

Here it is.... http://hometown.aol.co.uk/cbj287/hens.html

Ahhh, how cute (just picturing him under the stairs) :)

I would never complain about a cockerel, but I suppose some people have to complain about something. I love the crowing they make.

Like everyone else said, just try to keep him in the dark for as long as possible.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try the carpet over the eglu tonight and see if that makes any difference!

Can anyone enlighten me as to the purpose of the crowing? My boy seems to have spells of more or more continuous crowing during the day and then is quiet for an hour or more? Is it a territorial thing? Is there anything I can do to reduce his crowing during the day?

Thanks

Sometimes - but other times it appears to be for no reason and sometimes it is a game of "I can crow louder than you"

We have 7 in a holding pen and the others seem to crow "we've got girlfriends - you haven't" at them and then they (the 7) go ballistic :roll:

:lol: Reminds me of a story I read that said it was down to 'male competition' :roll: something like the girlfriends thing that Lesley mentions and also to do with them telling everyone that they have 'bigger cojones'.

Boys huh?

I like them crowing, but can't have any in my garden as my neighbours are too close.