Chook n Boo Mum Posted May 5, 2010 Share Posted May 5, 2010 (edited) She doesn't know it yet, but the Banshee Brat Blossom is going to have the 2 eggs she's currently sitting on, whipped away tonight and have 6 fertile ones popped into their place Yesterday I went & purchased 6 Pekin eggs (2 salmon, 2 red and 2 lemon cuckoo)from here http://www.lphpoultry.co.uk/shop/shop.php?maincat=8&sid=sid943e7f40f142b61e93b55ae7422a860e which if I set them under her tonight will hopefully hatch on or around the 26th I know it is perfectly normal to be so excited.....just a shame no-one else seems to realise this fact Sha x Edited June 2, 2010 by Guest Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Falkor Posted May 5, 2010 Share Posted May 5, 2010 I know it is perfectly normal to be so excited.....just a shame no-one else seems to realise this fact Sha x We realise Sha!! Oooh very exciting! I broke my only Lemon Cuckoo egg as i put it in the inccy. Good luck! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Griffin Posted May 5, 2010 Share Posted May 5, 2010 I'm excited for you too My Pekin chicks are not what it said on the tin, I haven't a clue what colours they are Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chook n Boo Mum Posted May 5, 2010 Author Share Posted May 5, 2010 Just had an unexpected visit from a friend & her not-quite-2-year-old who is enormous .....he ran straight to the Nursery & proceeded to thump on the roof ..........poor B spat all sorts of unmentionables at him & I flew across the garden & whipped him away She came off the "sacrificial eggs" & had a comfort break with a grunting running commentary, but has gone back on without any problems, thankfully ! The child has now left Having gone through all the butterflies & excitement for everyone else I'm now going through it for my own little one Just to check...I've got the BtBs in an egg box propped up on one side on the gas hob & I've swapped the propped side to the opposite side once today, shall I swap it again before I go out to watch DD at her rounders match, then put the eggs under B at bedtime or put them under her before I go so the babies hatch in the daylight hours hopefully & we have a chance to see them....or am I just making my life more difficult with silly questions Sha x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Daphne Posted May 5, 2010 Share Posted May 5, 2010 That sounds exciting and a lovely mix of colours - I didn't realise LPH sold pekins; they didn't used to. Good luck with them Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lewis Posted May 5, 2010 Share Posted May 5, 2010 Good luck with them Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chook n Boo Mum Posted May 5, 2010 Author Share Posted May 5, 2010 The young Mum is now perched happily on 6 little eggs........and I have to confess to feeding you false information the red ones are actually gold partridge Have you been there then Daphne, or had chooks/eggs from him....he certainly does have pekins, a shed of breeding pens of them At risk of wishing my life away...roll on 26th Sha x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Falkor Posted May 5, 2010 Share Posted May 5, 2010 oooh good luck to you Sha, Blossom and the btb! I too, can't wait for th 26th!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted May 5, 2010 Share Posted May 5, 2010 How lovely, fingers crossed! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chick wiggle Posted May 5, 2010 Share Posted May 5, 2010 Exciting, exciting, exciting Oh Yes It Is !!! Good Luck Sha Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Daphne Posted May 6, 2010 Share Posted May 6, 2010 Hi Sha - yes a few years ago I got my first 2 orps from him! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
grracee Posted May 7, 2010 Share Posted May 7, 2010 Ooooh, Pekins. Lucky you, i'm after some of them Hope it all goes well, look forward to see some chick pics! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chook n Boo Mum Posted May 13, 2010 Author Share Posted May 13, 2010 Day 8.........Blossom has been sitting happily since last Wednesday with two or three short excursions to the run under extreme sufferance daily. I know I am going to be paranoid after my Buffie experience last year, but how much should the little minx be eating & drinking? She has a water container in the with her, which I refresh daily....... she has dustbath, pellets & water out in the run so if she chooses to get up on her own she has all her little heart could wish........and every so often I pop out & offer her a teaspoon-ish of corn or a few mealworms which she eats whilst she's still on the nest. I have noticed a huge & probably rank poo being deposited at least once a day Her comb & wattles looked as though they were losing colour over the past day or so, do I need to try & up her intake or is she doing just fine Holly is now also seriously broody with the fake "bomb" eggs that Blossom was so traumatised by & will be moved in tomorrow with some Maran eggs to call her very own Sha x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Daphne Posted May 15, 2010 Share Posted May 15, 2010 She'll eat less than normal Sha, but I couldn't really say how much it is per day I'm afraid. As long as she is taking food/water (but they don't seem to take much liquid) and doing her poos she should be OK. Just to compare, I don't leave mine anything to eat/drink in the house and I know she only feeds/drinks twice a day when I lift her off but she's always been fine. Blossom will lose some comb condition, so thats pretty normal. Just carry on your close monitoring but I'm sure she'll be fine; I think Buffie was an unfortunate exception, rather than the rule. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chook n Boo Mum Posted May 25, 2010 Author Share Posted May 25, 2010 I've just been to close the doors on the Blossom Maternity Ward and Holly Maternity Ward and...............................................I can hear little voices in with Blossom ...........until the morning I have no idea how many voices, but I can hear some I am so excited Sha x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lewis Posted May 25, 2010 Share Posted May 25, 2010 Congrats on the Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chook n Boo Mum Posted May 25, 2010 Author Share Posted May 25, 2010 Congrats on the I can't wait to see what she's got in the morning & she timed it perfectly for DS to be home too Sha x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lewis Posted May 25, 2010 Share Posted May 25, 2010 I can't wait to see what she's got in the morning & she timed it perfectly for DS to be home too They're clever those chooks Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chook n Boo Mum Posted May 26, 2010 Author Share Posted May 26, 2010 OK, next question...............I have to do the work and dentist run with little chance to be home in between....the baby/ies is/are still under Bloss who is rocking around like a mad windup toy in the nest I will be leaving in about an hour & be back about 11...........would I be best to leave the eglu door shut so the brave ones are contained & can't get into any mischief whilst B is on the nest with the others, or open the door & leave them to it? I seem to remember the Bufflings were little monsters escaping from Buffs at every opportunity whilst she tried to hatch the last 2 who didn't make it I haven't put the chick-proof edging up in the run yet Sha x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Daphne Posted May 26, 2010 Share Posted May 26, 2010 Well I guess we're all too late with any advice for this morning! Can't wait to hear your updated news later Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chook n Boo Mum Posted May 26, 2010 Author Share Posted May 26, 2010 no not too late at all, I'm back from the first trip...DS was barely human when DH wanted to go to work & the traffic was better than normal, so I whizzed there & back & am now eating my brekkers & hoping for thoughts Sha x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Daphne Posted May 26, 2010 Share Posted May 26, 2010 (edited) OK - I'd leave them indoors; I wouldn't want the worry about any unexpected (although admittedly unlikely accidents) having got this far! Then when I got back I'd do the chickproofing and hope that the rain I have just heard doesn't get as far as you so you can settle down for uninterrupted chick watching! Edited May 26, 2010 by Guest Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Griffin Posted May 26, 2010 Share Posted May 26, 2010 I'd leave it shut for today, at least until you can be there to supervise should anybody escape. They probably wouldn't though, they usually stick close by mum for the first day. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chook n Boo Mum Posted May 26, 2010 Author Share Posted May 26, 2010 I left the door shut when I went out & have opened it since I've been home as the cloud is thinning a little & the temp could rise in the .....while I was out there opening the door............ ..............I saw a little yellow puffball with feathery feet ....I was naughty & impatient & slid my hand under a wing & found it, I had a quick look & tucked it back under Bloss, who was quite calm about the intrusion I don't think they'd get out of the nestbox anyway as they are so diddywee, I need to raise the level of bedding in the nest, I've raised it in the poo tray already but I didn't want to disturb Bloss any more than necessary yesterday Off out to chick proof the run now Sha x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Daphne Posted May 26, 2010 Share Posted May 26, 2010 Well done Blossom What has she got under her Sha? Little pekins? Is Holly the same? Its not the warmest day to say hello to the world is it, but I'm sure Mum will do a thoroughly good job looking after them! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...