Daffodill Posted May 12, 2010 Share Posted May 12, 2010 Had a bad start today opening the eglu to find not all of my girls jumping out. Poor Toffee my beautiful Buff Orpington had only just died her little body was still warm. I took her to the vets yesterday as she was not very happy on Sunday and Monday and Tuesday she had a swollen face the same thing as Ginger who I lost a month ago. The vet gave her antibiotics and said it looked like Mycoplasma. He said that I must have a carrier bird and I think it must be Blackie who has never shown any symptoms. So I don't think I will be able to get any more hens while I have her otherwise I will run the risk of having to lose more. Ive kept my Cube really clean and disinfected it and move the WIR every week but if there is a carrier bird they always have the potential to pass on the infection to new stock. The vet said that because they are prey birds they don't show symptoms until the infection is really bad. Does anyone out there know if 4 birds in a cube is a sufficient amount of stock to be warm in winter which is my only worry about having so few. Bye Toffee Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Alis girls Posted May 12, 2010 Share Posted May 12, 2010 So sorry to hear about Toffee. Can I ask what Mycoplasma is please? I can't help with answers as new to chicken keeping. Sorry about your loss Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickiepiggies Posted May 12, 2010 Share Posted May 12, 2010 sorry for you loss what a terrible shock RIP Toffee Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Daffodill Posted May 12, 2010 Author Share Posted May 12, 2010 The vet said it was a very contagious respiratory infection and can be very bad for intensive poultry farms where it spreads through the flock rapidly. It needs treatment rapidly to limit its effect but the birds will always be carriers. The symptoms mine had where runny beak and sitting around looking miserable and yesterday a swollen face. I should have acted sooner in retrospect and I won't make that mistake again. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
scarlettohara Posted May 12, 2010 Share Posted May 12, 2010 I'm really sorry Are you new to chickens like me - it must have been really horrible for you. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
WitchHazel Posted May 12, 2010 Share Posted May 12, 2010 So sorry to hear about Toffee. It's always sad to lose one of the girls. Four girls in the cube will be fine. I have four in mine, and they are perfectly warm and toasty in the winter. (We also leave the cube door open so they can get themselves up in the morning - we have a WIR so there is no fox problem). I was worried about the temp, but we put a thermometer in with them and they were as warm toast. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Daffodill Posted May 12, 2010 Author Share Posted May 12, 2010 "Are you new to chickens like me" Yes Iam new to chickens and am surprised that I have had so many problems. I thought they would be staightforward to look after with a bit of effort, now I have talked to more people I have discovered it is common to lose a few but its hard when they are pets. I am glad to hear that 4 hens is ok in winter. Iam going to stick with 4 girls they all get on fine together so there is no need to invite anymore problems. Thanks for all your messages its lovely to have a bit of sympathy Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Minnie&Moose Posted May 12, 2010 Share Posted May 12, 2010 Very sorry to hear about Toffee. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
LittleOwl Posted May 12, 2010 Share Posted May 12, 2010 Very sorry about Toffee 'm new to this too, and though I haven't lost any yet, I have had 3 being not well in the last four weeks, and I'm feeling a bit like you. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
scarlettohara Posted May 12, 2010 Share Posted May 12, 2010 I had 2 or my first 3 killed by a fox and then I had a new one with a cold who had to have antibiotics - it's hard not to be a bit paranoid, same as with a new baby. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Seagazer Posted May 12, 2010 Share Posted May 12, 2010 I'm sorry to hear about Toffee Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
cathybc Posted May 12, 2010 Share Posted May 12, 2010 sorry to hear about Toffee x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Torrin Posted May 12, 2010 Share Posted May 12, 2010 so sorry to hear about Toffee Hope you're other girls are ok Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...