Aga n Chickens

Ducks and chickens

Does anyone know if one duck and one chicken can live together ?

I have a new neighbour who used to live on a farm in Italy when she was a child and rembers flocks of ducks and chickens together out in the field, but she only has room for one of each and has asked me to find out if one of each can keep each other company.

If she needs a pair of each she'll opt for 2 chickens as she doesn't want to upset the neighbours with the noise from 2 ducks.

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Kind regards,

Christine

Some people will say no, some will say yes, so its up the the individual really.

I have 2 chickens + 2 ducks in a WIR together, but they do have separate housing .... saying that the ducks never go in at night :roll::lol:

Ducks are messier + louder than chickens, but it probably depends on the breeds too - my 2 are bantams + the ducks are Aylesburys.

Intros did take a long time because the drake would chase the chickens, but they're ok now. It may be better with a duck and a hen though :D

A friend has a Pekin Bantam Hen and a Miniature Silver Appleyard duck living in harmony together. They have a small coop (2x2) with no perches and a small external nestbox for the hen. Their run is roughly 2m x 2m and has wood chips all over. The duck has a pond about the size of a washing up bowl (poss. slightly bigger) dug into the ground which she uses regularly. It isn't very deep just in case the hen did fall in but she hasn't so far and she has had them like this for 1 1/2 years

:)

Many thanks Lewis and Tom :D

I'll pop round with your suggestions.

Good idea about the washing up bowl sunk into the garden for the duck to splash about in.

I think that she is looking to keep the birds for eggs, so the chook won't have to worry about advances from a drake :)

Kind regards,

Christine