Seagazer

What else can we do?

My DD has had a stray cat since Saturday. She keeps putting it out at night but its just sleeping under a table in their garden. She has taken it to the vets to see if its microchipped and its not. The vet gave her the once over and said she's an oldish cat, she's got no bottom teeth and and a few lumps on her body. She's very thin so the vet said to keep feeding her.

She's put posters up and leafleted the surrounding area. She's contacted the RSPCA and various animal shelters in Nottingham, she's put the details on lost and found websites. She's even phoned the local pet shops. The shelters are all fall at the moment - cats protection has a waiting list of 500 cats :shock:

The cat has only left the house/garden for about an hour. The trouble is that DD is coming home on Saturday as she has finished at uni. She's already distraught at the thought of just leaving the cat. What to do? I know her Dad won't let her bring it back (well I don't think he will :roll: ) but she's upset at the thought of just leaving and not knowing whats going to happen. She was given a paper collar to write her details on and put on the cat (who does have a collar on already) but obviously the cat hasn't really gone anywhere. DD is wondering if the cat is a bit senile.

I'm running out of ideas of what to do? Anybody got any other bright ideas?

Oh dear, what an awful situation to be in. Whilst of course you want to feed her she wont go if you do. If she goes to a shelter she will probably only be kept for 7 days and then put to sleep. If you really cant offer her a home she will have to try stopping feeding her in the hope that she will go home - if she has one. Whilst she is thin she may well be under treatment with her owners. I remember putting a really decrepid sorry looking cat to sleep when I worked at the RSPCA only to find out that she had a loving owner who had been to the vets with her that week for treatment and she had escaped :(

Oh no that just makes me feel worse.

We tried to take on my MIL's unwanted cat and my oldest cat had the raging hump and wouldn't stop hissing etc at her (mind you she still does this to Dave after 3 years).

I don't know what to do. Most of me thinks that we could try and work it out somehow but what if her owners are out there. Although I do think my DD has gone above and beyond the call of duty in trying to find them. It would just be my luck to find out she has something horribly wrong with her and they've just dumped her.

She's been at DD's house since Saturday. Louise is out and about most days so would have seen any lost posters etc that might have been put up. When Dave goes missing I'm out with the posters the day after.

Its really awkward isn't it? They've even left the back gate to the garden open in case she couldn't climb the fence but she's made no attempt to leave.

When does she come back from Uni? - will the neighbours be there over the summer?

I'd put up posters with her/an unused mobile number on, so hopefully the owners will see it and get in contact...

If she doesn't have a chip and rescues are full though :?

Our neighbours haven't seen their cat for a week+ and so are really worried about her :(

She's coming back from uni tomorrow. She's finished then and won't be going back. I should think the house will be empty for the summer before the new students take up residence.

See, thats the problem Lewis, she doesn't want to just leave the cat there but obviously would hate to take it away if its got loving owners somewhere. I really think she's done just about all she can to let people know thats she's found a cat though and you would have thought she'd have heard something. She's put posters up in all the local shops too. She definitely wouldn't want the cat to be taken in by a rescue place and then put to sleep.

Its emotional enough for her to be leaving Nottingham, she loves it there so much, without worrying about the poor cat. :(

Crikey Ann, sorry I didn't want to make you feel worse :( Ok, I think the solution is to get the local paper involved. If they run a piece on this poor little cat, she is almost certain to be offered a home or her owners may turn up. If I was in your position that is what I would do. If your DD doesn't want to be in the paper I would suggest that she contacts a local vet or animal charity and ask them to front it. They are usually happy enough to do so to get a bit of publicity.

Its okay Chucky Mama I know you didn't mean to worry me, it was just the thought of her being put to sleep. :(

DD has been out visiting friends all day today so it will be interesting to see if the cat is still in the garden when she gets back.

Hubby is going to pick DD up tomorrow (won't be room for me once she's got all her stuff in the estate car :roll: ) and he said he's fully expecting to bring the cat home so we'll see what happens.

Thanks for the advice. I think we were just worried because of the time constraints really.

Up date to the story is that the cat was there when hubby turned up but then left the garden as they were getting ready to leave. Since DD got back home her fellow housemates have been giving DD daily up dates. She's been at the house every day and crying at DD's bedroom door. They've been feeding the cat.

DD has gone back up to day (to get results on thurs) and received phone call from a lady who had picked up the paper collar in a road. She said the cat has been hanging around for about 6 years. She has been feeding it and knows of other people who have too.

The general consensus is that the cat probably belonged to a student or family that has moved away and the cat's been left behind. It does help to know that other people have been looking after it too but sad that the cat is getting older and may not have constant proper care. Very sad. :(

DD still not sure whether to just leave the cat or to bring her back.