Ygerna

traumatised piggies?

We now have two beautiful piggies. We have taken them in because their previous owners just did not want them anymore and wanted rabbits instead :shock:

They appear to be really rather traumatised, flighty and nervous and only venturing out of their sleeping area when a blanket is draped over their run.

When they were brought here, the world and his wife came two, the daughter, mum, dad, and grandma, another lady and HER daughter two. :shock: Not quite what I was expecting but hey-ho. The mum who was giving them to us, kept saying I should wear gardening gloves in case they bit me, and there were lots of loud offers of advice and tips and in general it was rather loud and chaotic. I wonder if this were the general atmosphere that the poor piggies had been living in as I believe they were in the house (with a rabbit, a giant rabbit at that :? )

We have them in an outdoor hutch.

Anyway, to the point. Do you think that our poor GP's are permanently traumatised or will we see an improvment in a short time?

I am off out shortly to get them some more secret hidy-hole type toys to try and encourage them to atleast explore.

It could be the change in environment. My daughter's pigs live in the house, next to the kitchen in an extension I like to call the laundry room and we are by no means a quiet house. They seem very happy and interact well and I think they like the fact that there's usually a passing human and I can feel their beady little eyes watching me when I prepare veg.

The only time they are very quiet is when we put them outside in the run which can be for the whole day. They just seem to bide their time until they can get back to their cage.

It could be that yours are going to need time to adjust to being outside.

Another thing I thought was that we had to separate ours as one was being bullied. We keep the cages together so that they still have each others company but also have their own space. The little bullied one recovered quickly and is quite feisty now.

One more thing, I believe they're burrowing creatures so we put big piles of hay or branches in their run which encourages them to rustle about outside,even if it is underneath something, maybe the sky is just too big!

Well, lucky guineas having a new home with you, it sounds as if the previous owners couldn't be bothered with them.

It's likely that they will never be as tame as ones that have been handled from the beginning, they may always be nervy.

However, with your encouragement, there is a lot of hope that they can become happier, friendlier pets.

Even with handling, some are more jumpy by nature than others, that's natural, but it's great to at least build their confidence to explore.

I agree with everything Patsylabrador said, and your ideas too. I'm sure you'll notice an improvement as they gain your trust, but may always be of a flighty disposition.

All the best, guineas are such fun. :D

Thank you for your replies. Its been a week now, and whilst still jumpy, there has been a slight improvment. We've been trying to ensure that if we are going to their run, or simply near it, we pop a small treat in, a carrot top, piece of apple, and now they are getting braver as they realise that we bring nice things for them :D They do still charge off into the sleeping area but, once the treat has been placed in, a few seconds wait will see their little noses poke out of the opening, slowly followed by the rest of them as they as drawn to the food. I've also managed to hold them, albeit it very briefly and they make it clear they do not like it and try to wriggle free, as I transfer them to their run on the grass (we don't have a guinlu unfortunatly :( ) They have a big pile of hay to sleep and play in (my chicken feed supplier sells guinea pig bits and bobs too, top result) and they also have a small hidey toy to use too.

I've even heard them squeaking to each other whilst in the long grass of our lawn. :D

I love guinea pigs :dance:

8) Thanks for the update, that sounds like great progress.

They may always be nervy, I've had my current 2 from young but they still, 3 years later, run away as a first reaction.

They are perfectly calm once picked up, and enjoy being held for ages, but they've remained cautious about keeping still when I first come out, so I accept they will never be that tame, unlik all my previous guineas.

Guineas are adorable and yours sound very happy with their new home. :D

:idea: Dandelion leaves - try hand feeding, or someone else feeging while you hold, they can only usually resist for soooo long :wink: . Also, if they are not taking to this try feeding the leaves through the hutch/run bars - you may need a little patience at first - but once they get the taste of the dandelions :lol: Just don't feed to many - as they concentrate the urine in quantity and strength :wink:

Thought I'd give a little update on our piggies.

Although they are happy little pigs, squeaking at me when I go out into the garden, and they are not at all jumpy when the children are all out there playing they are still not happy at all about being handled. They will come and stand next to my hands as I clean them out, feed them etc but, if I make even the slightest move toward them then they scurry off.

I am much happier that they are happier and have resigned myself to simply not being able to have piggy cuddles. At least they are no longer being handled/treated in such a way as to terrify them so.

Some guinea pigs just don't like being handled. Matilda is the first pig I have had from a baby, 5 weeks old, all my others have been rescues. I have had her 9 months now and she hates being handled, she struggles and has even nipped me. She is not at all nervous though. She comes when I call her, she eats out of my hand, she just hates being handled. Meggie on the other hand is far more nervous, she is always one step behind Matilda, but she loves to be stroked and cuddled.

They are all very different. I love my Matilda she is such a happy little thing, she jumps and popcorns around and I love Meg for her sweet nature.

I've not bought any guinea pigs for about 10 years now as I keep getting asked to rehome guineas from other people. They have always been exceptionally scared, timid and worried, especially as I keep my guinea pigs indoors right at the heart of my home. I've had skittish pigs become cuddly, loving and confident pigs who trust me completely. This makes nail clipping and the occasional bath much easier!

Just be patient & keep giving them love. One technique is to leave your hand near to the food you put in, then as they get more confident leave your hand next to the food. It gets them used to you being there. Try not to make big or sudden movements around the cage (which I'm sure you're not), but don't change what you do - they will get used to you / family life (eventually!).

Have fun & congratulations on giving these guineas a fabulous new home. XxX