henriette

Burnt jam and burnt pan

Ok, I think I really surpassed myself today. Prepared 4lbs of apricots for a supposedly delicious apricot jam. I have a brand new jam pan ( I used to use a large saucepan) and was so looking forward to using it. Made the jam in the same way as always but for some reason it burnt. I am talking really burnt. :( Alright a terrible waste of fruit and sugar but the pan! Oh dear, oh dear - thick, black, burnt on jam which will not shift. Have tried boiling up with a dishwaher tablet and am about to try white vinegar and baking soda. Does anyone have any other ideas please other than a hammer and chisel? Anyone for Apricot & Burnt Caramel Jam :)

Biological washing powder or (and I haven't personally tried this) apparently if you leave the pan out overnight slugs will come and do the hard work for you, they have little abrasive teeth type things that will s"Ooops, word censored!"e it all off without doing any damage to the pan. Worth a try possibly?

Thank you all for the tips. To date I have tried the bio washing powder, bicarb and white vinegar and water and onions. None have really worked as such but I can see tiny specks of the bottom of the pan :) I haven't been out to the shops so haven't tried ketchup yet, but I guess if it's due to the vinegar, the vinegar and bicarb should have worked. I am now going to try the cola, and yes, if that doesn't work, the slugs are more than welcome to have a try :D

I think probably I need to just keep going for maybe days (or even weeks)! It might just be cheaper to buy a new pan or continue with the old saucepan. Incidentally, I had another 2kgs of apricots left and made a successful batch in said old saucepan :lol:

Maybe if I give it to the slugs after all the stuff that's been on the burnt surface now, it might eliminate the slugs. Just think, I might have invented a new slug killer :D Actually, have finally tried oven cleaner. Am on the third application and it does seem to be working - slowly.

Worth remembering that the coating of carbon (i.e. the dried fruit) will expand less than the metal of the pan when the two are heated, and this difference will be increased by soaking first. I had to deal with a similarly coated preserving pan, and after everything else failed, I did a fair bit of heating the empty pan up on the gas, then cooling down. Over time, the carbon lost its grip on the metal, and I now have my preserving pan back as it should be. Lots of faff but worth it.

Love your new avatar picture :D

Thankyou - it took me ages to get it there, but I was determined not to give up.

A bit like the jam pan really. With regard to Charlottechicken's suggestion, I don't know what Astonish is :roll: I'm not sure I could get it over here.

Am still trying with the oven cleaner, (it does get a little better every day) but I think now, majorbloodknock, I shall have to give the scientific suggestion a go. Thankyou very much for that information :D

I will bore you all with the progress :D

Worth remembering that the coating of carbon (i.e. the dried fruit) will expand less than the metal of the pan when the two are heated, and this difference will be increased by soaking first. I had to deal with a similarly coated preserving pan, and after everything else failed, I did a fair bit of heating the empty pan up on the gas, then cooling down. Over time, the carbon lost its grip on the metal, and I now have my preserving pan back as it should be. Lots of faff but worth it.

AMAZING! It worked. Thankyou so much - definitely the star of the moment :clap::clap: Of course, along with the scientist who came up with the result in the first place. :clap: I heated it up twice and nearly all of it came off. There are a few small bits left, on which a third heating had no effect. I reckon I can live with them though. It is fantastic to have my almost brand new looking jam pan back. Thank you again.

That's great news and definately a tip for me to remember. Can i ask, do you cool the pan quickly by sitting it in cold water or just let it cool down on its own? :)

I just let it cool down on its own. On the manufacturer's label it said never to put the pan in cold water while it was still hot. Again, probably something scientific re the effect it might have on the metal. The first time I did it, it was quite incredible as I could hear the "burnt jam" crackling. The majority of it came if after the first attempt. We are talking nearly 2mm in depth here, so quite a lot :D

wow - what a useful tip, the Major rides to the rescue yet again! Thanks for reporting on progress, I am going to store that one for the next time (and there will be a next time, I know :roll: ) that I burn something badly.

I tried reboiling some previously made jam as it was too runny and it burnt good and proper, after a brief internet search, I looked up the chemical carbon and it is pretty tough! Much soaking and various cleaning agents had no effect, then one suggestion was reheat the dry burnt area and it should come away with a little effort! It did and after a sandpaper job and wire wool as a finish, my wife now has her pan back!!!

Lakeland do a really good oven cleaner. It looks like egg whites when you brush it on. Leave it to soak (I've left it for 24 hours before now - covered with cling to stop it drying out) and then just wash it off, by which time it looks like treacle. Have salvaged many a pan with no stress! It comes with a little brush to paint it on and I can never resist having a little prod every now and then to see how it's doing :oops:

OMG thank you!!!! I just found this thread after burning my jam pan. I tried baking soda then baking soda and vinegar boiling in the pan. They worked somewhat. I heated the pan empty once and the stuck on burnt is peeling right off