emerald

when can my chicks start going outside

AS it's so hot when can my chicks start going outside?

My OH said as it was so hot we could let them go outside in a moveable 6ft x 2ft covered run for 1/2 hour to see how they get on. I wasn't sure so kept them inside. They are 12 days old. The breeder did say in this weather they could move to our covered walk in run after 4 weeks.

At the moment they are in our front room and appear to be doing well. They have started to wonder away from their brooder and only seem to go near the lamp at night time. Eating well and drinking loads.

It will do them no harm to be out when its warm like it is and they will appreciate being outside with the grass and extra room :D

Lots of shade though - cover at least half of the run top and sides with a cloth and keep an eye on the movement of the sun to ensure they have plenty of shade and of course lots of water - place that in the shade

My chicks which are between a day old and two weeks old are in a shed with no heat in the day and the door wide open and a fan on, its been so hot! I have been shutting the door about 9pm. if your chicks are outside and you are around to supervise them they can probably stay out till 6pm or so

It goes without saying but bring them in if they are distressed at any point.

Oh, I wasn't expecting that reply so I have a few more questions

It will do them no harm to be out when its warm like it is and they will appreciate being outside with the grass and extra room :D

Lots of shade though - cover at least half of the run top and sides with a cloth and keep an eye on the movement of the sun to ensure they have plenty of shade and of course lots of water - place that in the shade

I have the omlet cover so can use that

My chicks which are between a day old and two weeks old are in a shed with no heat in the day and the door wide open and a fan on, its been so hot! I have been shutting the door about 9pm. if your chicks are outside and you are around to supervise them they can probably stay out till 6pm or so

So start them off for small periods of time building up as they get older?

It goes without saying but bring them in if they are distressed at any point.

So should I be aiming for the 4 week mark to getting them outside. I have a big run that will be split so my other ladies can see them but not live with them. The run is covered and the chicks area is 7ft by 4.5ft very secure but the breeder suggested putting cardboard around the bottom to prevent a low breeze

My run is filled with woodchip is this ok for chicks or should I use aubiose as I do in the brooder?

I'm so excited that I can watch them being out side for the first time. :D

To be honest as long as its nice and warm and you can keep an eye on them I'd let them out for as many hours as it stays warm, just supervise and be ready to being them in if necessary, no need to build up time but if you feel more comfortable doing that then it wont hurt

4/5 weeks to be outside is probably about right at this time of year, be prepared to keep them in longer if the good weather doesnt last!I have just put one lot out that are 5 weeks, 4 to me is pushing it a little.

The cardboard is a good idea, tall lawn edging would also do (the green corrugated stuff)

If the woodchip has been used by the older chooks then dont put the chicks on it, they cant be on the same ground that older chooks have used, they can have fresh woodchip or aubiose, either is fine :D

Thankyou souch Tasha you have given some wonderful info there.

I can't wait to put them out and will go and get everything ready now. They keep walking around the front room which is additive viewing. So can't wait to see the'r reaction to grass. My big girls will also be puzzled they have heard the chirping and became frightened so at least they can now take time to realise what is making the noise now.

No housework for the rest of the day :lol:

Ours have been going out from 3 weeks ish :)

6 weeks old now and they spend most of the day outside :D

Thanks for the info, is it in the WIR you have in your sig or a different one.? The chicks when indoors have no heat, only at night and now I'm thinking that don't even need it at night as our living doesn't get cold.