BiBiBi

What plant is this?

We have a plant with oval shaped waxy spiky leaves - looks like a type of holly perhaps. But it has purple berries on it now, whereas hollies usually have red berries, I believe. Does anyone know what this could be and if the berries are edible? Thanks.

I'm not great on plants so the only thing I can think of with oval waxy leaves and a purple berry would be laurel. It is poisonous, see **here**. The leaves aren't spiky as far as I know though :?

When I first started making sloe gin, a colleague brought some of the berries and leaves into work to show me as she thought she had a blackthorn in her garden. She would've had a quick death if she had made a drink with the berries :shock:

Thanks for the suggestions but having looked at the image suggested and images of laurels, it is neither of these. It does look more like sloe berries but the leaves of sloe berry bushes in the pictures I have seen do not appear to be spiky or waxy. I will try to take a pic tomorrow and post it on here.