geb0205

Bantams and the Eglu

For those of you with banties, what do they think to the eglu?

I have just swapped my 2 banties from a wooden ark to an eglu, and they are finding the roosting bars a little hard to cope with... they only have small feet, after all! :roll: I presume they will get used to it the longer they use it (they are getting to grips with laying in the little nest box...) but I do worry about them.... :oops:

Edit: sorry, I thought this was in the chickens section, not the sick chooks bit!! would someone move it please?! :oops:

It will take them a while getting them used to the eglu, I found it hard with mine, when I moved them from their wooden coop to their eglu!

They wouldn't even go in it the first few days and they had to be lifted from their perches for a few nights before they got used to it being their home!

Ubereglu... That is part of my daily routine with the chooks now.. they INSIST on roosting in the greenhouse, instead of the lovely new eglu!!

Claret... yes, I did think that.. but how prone to mites are the wooden bars of the eglu? I have liberally coated the shavings and the bars in the eglu with Diatom, in the hope of preventing anything! (along with the chooks, much to their annoyance...)!

My Bants struggled with the Eglu at first,as they were just babies when I got them,but they are doing fine now :D

I (& a few others) spray coated my Eglu bars with a rubberizing spray,& the ends too, which makes them easier to clean & will also help prevent mites, I hope 8)

There is a thread on it somewhere - I will see what I can find for you.

Ubereglu... That is part of my daily routine with the chooks now.. they INSIST on roosting in the greenhouse, instead of the lovely new eglu!!

Claret... yes, I did think that.. but how prone to mites are the wooden bars of the eglu? I have liberally coated the shavings and the bars in the eglu with Diatom, in the hope of preventing anything! (along with the chooks, much to their annoyance...)!

Do 'the Diatom thing' too Geb and so far *touches wood* is has deterred mites. I think that anything that helps to deter them is worthwhile. I hope to rubberise my roosting bars this weekend.