red

Hen with foot fettish - Advice please!!

Since we kept the girls in the run for a week whilst they were having their flubenvet a couple of weeks ago Mavis has developed a VERY BAD HABIT of running at our feet and pecking them :evil:

If you say "Stop - naughty Mavis!" she stops but it has made going outside in flip-flops a dangerous expedition :roll:

Do you think she just resents us for keeping her shut in for a week?

Will she get tired of it soon?

Is she cross at me for taking her eggs? :?

Is it a sign that she doesn't love us anymore :(

Any tips warmly welcomed :?:

Am going to watch this one with interest. My Cilla is now known as the evil toe pecker as she goes for our feet and makes us do a dance whenever she can. She used to be my favourite because she was the friendliest of the 3 ex-batts but its getting on my nerves now.

The orginal two have shown an interest in my toes too but they seem to know what is good etiquette in these matters - ie do not peck the toes that feed you.

All I can advise is - wear wellies!

Keep them coming in folks - Mavis is almost 2 now and this is only a recent thing. I've been beginning to wonder if it's a pecking order thing? :think: when it was just her and Edna, Edna was top-hen then when I got Rita and Doris, Doris was top-hen. Of course their confinement to the run was a direct consequence of Doris's demise ... so ... is it because she has now convinced Rita that she's the new top-hen and now she's trying to convince me of the same :?::?:

I let mine nibble my fingers so now they don't bother (unless of course I'm holding corn and the fingers just get in the way :roll: ). But if it's more aggressive than just food hunting, why not try carrying a water pistol and giving her a squirt when she goes for the toes?

Hazel was thinking of researching how fast they learn things - she might be interested in the results! :lol:

Having been traumatised as a teenager by a friend's chicken, who chased me to peck my lovely red painted toe nails, I know exactly what you mean! I now wear my ever-so-attractive gardening clogs when I go into the run, but it's still great fun watching my Treacle chase flip-flop wearing guests around my garden!!!!!! (great way to get rid of people who outstay their welcome!!!)

our chooks only peck toes that are painted with red nail polish...............that's why i always wear blue nail polish :D:wink::shock:

They're attracted to red, so no red Crocs. mine are pink as are my Crocs and they don't come under attack, however yellow marigold gloves attract a bit too much interest :shock::shock::shock:

I recken the water pistol is a good idea! :twisted: