Krysia

ducks and chickens HELP

HELP!

Our ducks have shared their large walk in run with the Chickens for a few months now but this week have had 2 chickens get into the pond and drown! :cry::cry:

I am really angry as its my fault! but I have seen chicks and ducks live together all over the place and not heard of / thought about this!

Other than building another WIR which isnt really an option any advice to stop this happening again

edited as the ducks have shared with the chickens! not Ducks!

I'm sorry Krysia :(

Is there any way you can take the pond out of the WIR and have it in a separate area only the ducks can get in, or just use it when they FR - they don't need constant access to a pond.

Ours share the WIR with the chickens, as you know, but their pond is in the garden so they use it when they are all FRing.

Its not your fault, lots of people have them together and they've been fine before, just an accident.

So sorry.

I have heard of this happening before. My chickens and ducks have been sharing the same area for the last 3 weeks. I have a paddling pool for the ducks and have put a brick in it hoping that if the chicken fell in it could get onto the brick and get out.

Could you place a barrier around the pool that you remove every now and then when you can supervise them?

Krysia - sorry to read your tale. Don't feel bad these things happen.

We have two shallow ponds that the ducks use and the chickens drink out of after the ducks have pooed in them :vom:

Do you think the chickens are slipping into the pool. I don't think they'd go in by choice. Could something be done about the access to the pool? I am guessing here I'm afraid, but ours has a 9 inch area of "beach" all around.

At last a small gap in the wind, hail, rain we are enjoying at the moment.

A few pix of the pond

P1010106.jpg

The ramp was made with a piece of 3x2 cut diagonally - it's completely pointless as even the ducklings don't use it :)

P1010111.jpg

This is the pool being modelled by one of Topa's girls.

P1010110.jpg

Underneath to show how its made.

Hope this helps

Good Luck :wink:

Edited to add pix