meezers

Odd question for dog owners

Our old LabX ( put to sleep in january) , would bark at anyone coming onto our property, but once we'd ok'd them she was everybodys friend. The only person she took a dislike to in her 10 years was my brother- who happens to be a dog lover. He liked her and was most hurt that she wouldn't go near him - barked at him if she was in the same room. We never worked out why, but I wondered if it was that he smelt different ( to a dogs nose :wink: ) he likes a drink, and most times he was around her , he'd just come back from the pub. That's all we could think of, though our terrier loved him.

Anyway, this morning we were walking the dogs and met our neighbour, Dawn- Maya ( our new LabX) is wary of everyone on first meeting, but soon makes friends - even with the vet.But Maya does not like this neighbour, she pulls over to the other side of the path if we meet her , and when I stopped to talk this morning she hid behind me and barked ! She hasn't barked at anyone else, and this neighbour is the most quiet, gentle person - looks after my chooks while I'm away. Again, the neighbour can't understand why Maya dislikes her , we make a joke of meeting 'the scary Dawn lady' but it's quite embarrassing.Again, the terrier isn't worried .

Has anyone else got a dog with an irrational dislike of someone ? and do they know why ?

ours used to take exception to men in hats, and he is also very scared of black and white collies. the men in hats I have no idea (he's a rescue); the collies I understand because he was attacked by one after we had him. he's never been aggressive though, just ultra-submissive.

men in hats dont bother him now, but he is still cautious of collies, especially in pairs.

Charlie is friendly to all people... and to all dogs except black dogs. He isn't aggressive to them, but he gets nervous, ruffled and agitated by them... it's quite unnerving, as he happily greets and tries to play with every other dog, of every colour and size, but the sight of a black dog makes him very uneasy. He is still young, and has been barked and growled at VERY aggressively in the park a few times, by different dogs on different days, and all those dogs happened to be black, so I guess he is just worried all very dark dogs might turn on him...

With people he is always friendly, but he is usually more respectful of women... he still jumps up at men, I think because they are less calm and seem to encourage boisterous play, whereas the women he meets tend to say 'no, down' straigthaway...

Why Maya seems wary of your neighbour is puzzling... wouldn't it be great to be able to get into a dog's head and see what bothers them??

My Lab is exactly the same. Once he knows whoever comes to the door is okay he is all over them. But he is very protective and anyone who goes past the gate at the top of the garden he barks at! He never used to be like this until he got bitten by a little jack russell and since then he is very wary of other dogs until he meets them then is fine!

Also, there is one certain springer that goes up the road that he absolutely hates :? I've also met this springer whilst ono a walk with my cocker spaniel and he didn't want to go by him either? And then we met another springer (a friends dog but Charlie hadn't met him before) and he was all over him. Very strange.

One thing though, my Lab loves these two collies that go up the road, they are the only ones he won't bark at. Think that's because when we had Bouncer as a pup we used to look after my aunts collie in the day time and she was like a mum to him.

Not any advice really sorry about Maya, hope it gets better. Will she let them neighbour come near her? Perhaps it would be better if she spends time talking/stroking her etc. :)

My dog will not accept my sons' music teacher at any price. She has known him for about 8 years. She will take a treat off him, has walked with him and his dog but she does not trust him. Interesting, he like a tipple :lol: Anyway, I have always believed in a dog's instinct and I never 'force' her to like him. Part of me thinks that she can sense something in him that I can't :anxious:

It is really embarrassing when they do this isn't it? Cookie does it to an elderly gentleman that walks his dog in our local park. The man loves all dogs, he always calls out to Cookie and would love to give her a cuddle but she won't go anywhere near him. I always feel so sorry for him, he's been trying for 3 years now but there's no way she will go near him.

I agree with CM - Ruby is the same and will bark at people who behave oddly, even from a distance; they usually turn out to be drunk :roll: She has also taken to barking at the students smoking spliffs in the park. In those instances, I trust her judgement and let her get on with it.

She also doesn't trust hoodie sorts after I was attacked by one on the park and she saw him off - Ruby now puts herself between them and me and herds them away... bless her.

Hmm, it is odd isn't it? I wonder if there is some connection with alcohol/drugs ? maybe it changes the 'human' smell, or the dog can sense that judgement is somehow impaired and that makes it uneasy ? :? I was told yesterday that the neighbour in question is known to 'enjoy a drink', but I have never seen her even slightly drunk - maybe she's good at hiding it :lol:

I think it's down to vibes or 'inappropriate' body language/movements from the dog's point of view.

I used to live in SE London and fostered rescued lurchers and greyhounds when I worked from home. I noticed that one dog was very racist and didn't much like black men at all, although black women were fine :? - a slight handicap given the area I lived in. I asked the rescue centre what they knew about the dog's past and it turned out that the previous owners had been involved in the drugs scene in a big way and their door was often being kicked down by yardie dealers. It took a lot of work to stop that dog being frightened.

That was behaviour due to association though, which is different.

I have the Godfather of the dog world, One bark and everyone falls into place. :anxious:

We went to a cainine massage course a couple of weeks ago, A collie cross was trying to get an old springer to

play or react by mouthing him whislt we were having a talk, The springer was a little to timid to respond. Out of the corner of the room came a firm bark form Dylan, the collie shot across the room and sat on his bed (where he was supposed to be) and never bothered the springer again. :shameonu:

:lol::lol:

he has a career ahead of him as a teaching dog! My hound trainer has a lurcher who teaches other dogs - mainly social behaviour like that.

Well done Dylan :clap:

K - Jude has a new Kitten - Cookie got run over :cry: This 'Kitten of Fate' was an orphaned 4 week old ginger kit, now called Dylan. I will post photos when I get some time. You have to go and see him before he grows up - he just fits into my hand at the moment :D

I wish cats would just stare at me! - they know I don't like them so insist on trying to sit on my lap :evil:

Jazz is an odd dog - she's also racist and barks at black people on TV :shock: - absolutely no reason for it.

She also barks at farm animals on TV and from the car - and she sees our own sheep and cows every day and rubs noses with them :roll:

What an interesting thread :D

Our Ben will bark at anyone/thing who comes near the house, he's very protective in that respect. Other than that he doesn't bark for attention or when we're on walks, he's a very quiet dog :D

Oh mind you, there's a Boxer dog who lives on our cul-de-sac and he always barks at everything - once Ben did actually bark back at him! We don't see this dog very often though :)

Ozzie hardly ever barks - except when he wants something, when its a very peremptory short sharp woof! practically makes me jump out of my skin...

I have to say he is a useless watchdog, as far as he is concerned anyone and everyone must surely want to be his friend, and he would love to be theirs! all the delivery men know him, and one guy came last week with a new driver who was learning the route - as I was signing for the parcel, the original chap said "see, I told you this was the friendliest dog in the world"!! :D