v8landy

Hen all puffed up. **Updated.

Noticed today one of the hens is sort of on her own, all puffed up. By that I mean she looks to have her feathers all fluffed up, neck all scrunshed down and tail down.

Very slow moving and just moping along.

When she does move a bit, she stands up OK and neck re-appears and tails up, but quickly back down.

She is not laying, assuming broody, but not seen this before?

Can anyone confrim?

All puffed up, moping in the run, tail down is classic 'ill hen pose' I'm afraid - although it could be she's trying to pass a soft egg (I've no experience of that at all; hopefully somebody else can help) or possibly be about to moult? If not, does she have any other symptoms? Is she eating/drinking/pooing normally? If she was mine I might consider when was she last wormed and what with? I'd check very thoroughly for lice/mites. Does she have a full crop in the morning (shouldn't have, if its hard indicates she's crop bound; if soft and stinky then sour crop)? Is she walking OK when she moves or waddling? If there's a waddle and/or she has a swollen abdoment she may either be egg-bound or have egg peritonitis. The former needs the egg expelling, the latter has 2 forms, one is sterile and can be treated but not cured, the other is, I'm afraid, usually fatal. Is her breathing OK - no rattle/cough. Are her eyes/nose clean - no discharge?

Lots of questions!

Just been out and she is in the coop with the other 3.

Eyes, nose, beak and all OK,

Vent is quite red, and seen twitching, and following down to her under belly is quite red, and visable.

Never wormed them in the time we have had them (3 years) :oops: ,

Yes, I have read your post, reads very much the same.

Did yours comeon very quickly? My hen was fine 2 days ago, and she is the regular egg layer.

Waddling around (when se moves) likea duck, and under belly swollen.

They are 100% free range, but not had some grit in a while.

I am hoping things might be better when I get home tommorow.

Hi V8landy, yes she was fine one day and poorly the next. They have a pot of grit / oyster shell available all the time in the run.

As Egluntyne says, it's worth checking with the vet as it could be something more serious - better to be safe than sorry.

Let us know how she gets on.

Just back from the vets with her.

Not egg bound, or worms.

Quite a high temperature, =vet gave injection of A/B and then 1 weeks course via syringe.

We have now isolated her from the others, but as soon as we brough her back she had a peck at her food and some water.

Fingers crossed.

Well some sad news, she died last night!

As my last post she appeard to make a full recovery, and for the past 2 months has been as good as new.

But on Christmass eve just as we where going to go away for the weekend, we noticed her all hunched up again.

A freind looked after them while we hwere away, but on our return on Sunday she did not go in the house, Monday she was staggering about a lot and by then end of the day just flopped down.

She did not make in into the house that night and we thought that would be it, and the next morning she was dead.

Very sad to miss her.

Cleaned all the house out and dissinfected everything. The other 3 are showing no signs and neither did they back in October.

They are all the same age, 3 in January.

She must have still been a bit week and with the -13 to -15 deg cel temperatures it can not have been good for them

We even added some candles to their house to just take the edge of the cold.

Oh well, other 3 seam fine, and they are getting extra spice and cider etc. They got flubivent 2 months ago, and I will keep that up every 6 months.

Might get a couple more...will see. House was too big for 4, 3 now get lost in it.

I think this extreme cold snap will have been too much for many under-the-weather chooks. In any case, if she did have anything peritonitis related then it can't have been 'cured'; just managed. For what its worth, when you're ready, I believe getting new stock is an excellent way of getting over the sadness, it brings a new excitement and also serves as a reminder of the birds who came before :D

Sorry to hear it V8landy. Thats the trouble with peritonitis, the infection can come back through "Ooops, word censored!"ody's fault. Sterile peritonitis is a tricky one as they can live for ages with it and fill up with fluid every so often. :(

A couple of new hens sounds like a good idea :D