Sign in to follow this  
catherinedon

2 classics or 1 cube

Hi Im new here. I have 4 chickens that I have had for about 2 months. 1 light sussex (Tess), 1 Araucane (Nelly)

1 bearded silkie (Penny) and a silke called Dolly. I am loving it all as are my 4 children (2,3,6 and 9) We also have guinea pigs, a hamster and some fish :) My parents have recently given me some money and also gave dh some for him so I can be selfish with mine:) Want to buy more chickens but do I buy a second classic or buy a cube. I have a walk in run so will just be buying the house. What would you do? THanks Catherine

Hi Catherine and welcome to the forum! I have had 3 chickens in an eglu classic with run for a year, then built a walk in run with the classic pod in it. I then wanted more chooks and had a similar dilemma. I have gone for a second classic without run, as I have a small garden and I felt a cube would take up too much space inside the run, or even more garden if it was sited outside the run. (space really is a premium in my garden!) I now have a second classic inside the walk in run, but haven't got the chooks yet! (waiting from some young silkies to be sexed at the moment).

Many on here will say go for the cube. I suppose it depends on your particular set up.

Good luck! :)

having been down the 2 classics route and then got the (cube blue) I would say the cube every time - cleaning is much easier, less bending and heavy lifting, and once you've integrated them all then they can all go in together.

Do you think the chooks will try and squeeze in one classic at night? I don't know the answer, just curious.

I have 2 classic Eglus. I have a WIR and I hope to hatch a few chicks each year so can use one Eglu in a small sectioned off part of the run for them to grow and then integrate from there. I also have an Eglu run so have options there too!

Sounds like a cube would suit your purposes better though, especially if you want to just expand your flock by buying new POL hens. Will you keep the existing Eglu?

I started with a !gored! and 3 hybrid girls in June and having fallen victim to MoreHens disease spent weeks dithering over this very question...In the end I managed to buy a (cube blue) with an extended run on ebay (collecting it this weekend)and am looking forward to expanding my flock in the spring...Because I can't have a WIR here (vicarage - so we'll move when I move jobs) the cube seemed the most sensible option - and all the omleteers were united in encouraging me.

Hope it all works well for you, whatever option you go with

I have a (green eglu) and a (cube purple) in a WIR. I would say get a cube! They are easier to clean and to check on your chooks at night (is it just me that does that :oops: ) and it gives you more room for even more girls!

I have had my cube now for 9 weeks and am a new chicken keeper with 4 chickens. The cube is great (had one technical hitch , which Omlet sorted out). Really great to clean (I put newspaper in mine to catch the pooh) and when you have everything else in life, it gives you LOADS more time to adore your chickens!

I have separate accommodation so that my bantams don't have to share with the big girls. Couldn't do this if I had a cube. Alli x