Dizzy-Deb

Tarpaflex, wind slapping and making a lot of noise.!

Hi all

not quite sure where to post this so hope its in right place.

We put the tarpaflex up the weekend round the sides of the WIR, however they are a few inches too long at the bottom. Not sure how to get round this. :? Have tried placing slabs on but noticed this morning the tarpaflex has come away from them so flapping about. Also tried using some of a type of peg fixing through the eyelets into the ground but again can see the side that has those has come free.

Uncertain what to do for the best .. any suggestions please for those that have had this problem. Thanks xx

Edited by Guest

There are a few old threads on this very topic

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=68753&start=0

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=70317

I have found that on the sides that have the tarp down all winter (3 or my 4 sides are permanently down in winter; In the spring summer only one side is permanent) are best fixed with a screw and large washer at various intervals. The open side has a blind that is rolled down each night or when it rains during the day.

Hi Mummyhen

thanks for the link, had a look and its pretty much what am doing now, cup hooks to hold the top and sides. The bottoms have slabbed down.

But last night had a major problem with it (well was to me :shock: hubby thinks am being oversensitive) it was very windy and all could hear was the violent slapping of the tarps against the Run walls. In the end I got up at 1.30am got the torch and went up and took it all down because it was bothering me so much and thought it megga noisy. Hubby slept through it. :wall:

Has anyone else had this problem with the tarps making a lot of noise. ?? or am I letting it bother me too much. ?

Hubby is all for putting wooden battens across the back of the run over the tarps to secure them down. I am not keen on this as it is obviously going to put holes in the tarps. :?

Not sure what else to do at moment. These chickens are certainly causing some headaches and sleepless nights. :think:

extra holes put in today, secured firmly and hopefully wont flap & slap about now. If it does I think will put ear plugs in :lol::lol: cause am not messing with it any more. Got other things to do as it seems the chicken stuff seems to be overtaking all free time got!

I want a weekend off. :lol::lol::lol:

I've just put up 2 sheets in this vile vile weather, and it is flapping away like mad... :think:

because it was a bit of an emergency job, I've used cable ties to secure the tarps to the wire of the run, rather than cup hooks which was my plan. cant find a way to secure the bottom in this howling gale and lashing rain though. if it ever lets up I will have to go back out and see what I can do - cant imagine anyone can hear the noise above the storm though, so that's one good thing! :D

is it ok to make more holes in the edges of the tarp? and what does anyone think about cutting it to fit openings etc?

All these seem really good idea's BUT.......

I went out today and got some corrigated plastic because of same problem and my orps are fussy ladies and hate the rain. Told my oh and he pointed out ( quite calmly) how much we had spent on go and then winter cover, then clear plastic/bungies cords and now corrigated plastic. I love my omlet go but come on omlet isn't it time you suplied or even sold a proper clear plastic cover made to measure so we didn't have to come up with all these ideas. :think:

Probably would, but would be nice to be able to buy a cover longer than winter one to go all round and was clear. I've spent loads and oh is getting really fed up. Had to work on him for ages to convince him omlet go 's were worth the money and now still spending money on it :wall::wall:

I tend to agree with you Donna C - I don't think the winter shade is good enough quality (although much better than it used to be) or large enough. However, don't worry too much about your orpingtons. They are equipped with very large eiderdowns and are designed them to survive all sorts of natural hazards. They do dry off very well despite that bedraggled look.

bungee-d mine up yesterday - I have to say it doesnt look nearly as nice as it did when I didnt have the tarps up, and the only bungees I could get are bright red! 8)

its still flapping a bit, but no where near as bad, and at least it is much drier - and warmer - inside. the girls seem happy - they spend more time in the WIR than outside in the electric fence, lazy little so and so's!

well, still got an issue with this. one tarp is fine, because I didnt cut it, although the sea winds are a devil for getting underneath and freeing it from the bungees. the one on the front I had to cut so I could open the pophole to the electric fenced run (and prop the door up with a bit of wood), and had to cut a slit out of the bit covering the door so I could open the bolt.

beginning to wish I hadnt, because despite securing (or trying to) with tarps, the wind has ripped the tarp where I've cut it.

my latest plan, assuming we get a w/e with decent enough weather and DH not working, is to staple gun the plastic in place over the door and pophole, and then get him to remount the tarps on cup hooks once he has fitted fascia boards to the front/back/sides of the run. but then how do I secure the flappy down bits? my tarps dont have a channel along the bottom to fill with pipe/sand, they just have eyelets on all four sides.

plus, to cover the side the cube is fixed on to, we'll have to cut again (cube centred on that side iykwim). aargh!