meezers

New chooks or not new chooks ?

Help me decide what to do. Dilberts' crowing was getting way too early, so he is no more ( if you get my meaning) :cry: but now I'm minus 1 cockerel, I could get 2 more chooks . (we all know chicken maths , subtract 1 chook = + 2 chooks :wink: ).

At the moment the 2 groups of chooks are sharing the 2 runs, but sleeping in their own coops, which means 6 in the one coop and 4( including Muppet the bantam) in the other , it's a biggish coop and they may get cold so more chooks would help :wink:

BUT, we still have Dandelion, the silkie cockerel. I'm hoping I can hang onto him, he's not as loud as Dilbert was and he'd never be for the pot :shock: if I hold off on new chooks now, then I could hatch some more in spring and be able to keep at least 2 if they were girls.It would be nice to have some 'homegrown' and hatched chooks.But spring is a long time away and I may not get any girls hatch. What to do ? :think:

Hmm, bit of a daft question wasn't it ? you're not really helping you know, if I go out and get new chooks now, am I going to regret it in spring when Muppet goes broody and Dandelion wants to be a daddy and I have no room for new chicks ? ( though of course I do have time to sort out a seperate broody run/coop :wink: )

Someone tell me to be patient and wait - just to balance the replies :wink::lol: