We are about to embark on a bit of DIY to build a big run across the width of the top of the garden for our hens.

We've prepared a section of the garden which would be perfect for us and the girls but I am concerned that it's in a shady area. It gets the sun first thing, but as it moves round it will leave the girls in the shade for the remainder of the day.

We are planning to leave the girls in the new run for most of the time. It will be big enough to let them free-range, but I am concerned that they will only have limited amounts of sunshine in the morning...when we get it.

What you do guys think?

Gina, my lot were in a shady spot in the last house - perfect in the summer, as even when they were out freeranging, they would spend their time running from shadey bit to shadey bit in the garden, but as Clare says, it does get very damp in the winter, with no sun at all to dry it up. When we put chickens in this garden, I'm going to put them in a sunny spot, so that it will hopefully stay a bit drier in the winter, and I can shade them with plants in pots that can be moved about.

My bantams' garden is under some really big Sycamores. It gets the morning sun but it's really shady in summer - a huge benefit with the soaring temperatures of recent years. I also think that's why I've never had a red mite problem - apart from my paranoid checking/cleaning/powdering of course!!

Any damp or water-logging problems will depend on the topography of your garden and the soil type. If it's at the bottom of a slope, then it will sit wet, especially if you're on a clay soil. But if it's free draining and slightly sloping away, it should be fine.

You could improve drainage in that area by digging out some trenches and refilling them with stones/gravel, so the water drains elsewhere. I'm not an expert though, so maybe someone here with a builder or landscaper for a hubby can help.

My bantams' garden is under some really big Sycamores. It gets the morning sun but it's really shady in summer - a huge benefit with the soaring temperatures of recent years. I also think that's why I've never had a red mite problem

Hi Jools.... I dont understand the red mite thing... do you think that the red mite dont like the morning sun or the shady summers or is it because the area is dry and sheltered?

I'm not very clear about where the red mites come from in the first place... how do they find the chickens in my particular garden?

Please can somebody explain - I dont want my chooks to have them whatever the reason :?

Any damp or water-logging problems will depend on the topography of your garden and the soil type. If it's at the bottom of a slope, then it will sit wet

This is encouraging Jools. The garden slopes from top to bottom. The Eglu and new run has been planned to go at the very top of the garden at it's highest level.

We don't suffer from water logged soil at all. Where the chickens are the the moment gets so very hot in the midday sun, it worries me. We have a south facing garden, so there is very little shade at all, apart from at this top bit which sits in shade from 11am onwards.

I guess we could always make a moveable box type run with mesh on all sides....

Jaime - I'm sorry I can't help with your red mites problem :? Someone will sure to be along soon with all your answers......

Edited by Guest

Jaime - last year was meant to be a really bad year for red mite because of the really high temperatures (and not very cold winter to kill 'em off). Apparantly hot, sunny conditions are really good for them :evil: . My banties' garden never gets very hot - even at the hottest 30+ last year, it was a lovely 20ish degrees ......... and I spent a lot of time up there :lol: ! It could just be coincidence (and my fingers are tightly crossed while touching wood and looking for a black cat) but I haven't had red mite since we moved here over two years ago, despite having four wooden arks :shock: !

I guess we could always make a moveable box type run with mesh on all sides....

What,like a Cube you mean? :wink::lol:

Yes, exactly that Sarah. We would have laid mesh down on the floor anyway, as the run is going onto soil and I'm worried aobut foxes digging underneath. So, we could just attach it all the way round :!::idea:

Hmmm :think: Nice idea, but realistically, once the thing is in place, we'll not move it....

Well, we moved the chooks to the shady top end of the garden at the weekend and it's been more successful than we could ever have thought.

We've had no early morning warking as they aren't being distrubed by our cat or next door getting up early, and they have some new undiscovered soil to investigate.

They can see us in the kitchen now as they are directly opposite us, rather than down the side of the house and I can take the big winter shade off now and let the light in, as they aren't in the real midday heat anymore.

It looks really pretty from the window as I've decorated the area with some wood chips, nice pots and chicken type ornaments. :D I might even post some pics.