Chicken shack Posted November 13, 2010 Share Posted November 13, 2010 (edited) I let my girls out this morning and daisy stayed in the nesting box. I assumed she was going to lay an egg. I have had a few softies lately not sure if they are from her or Rhoda ). I went to visit a friend who has just got chickens and when I returned this afternoon she was still in the nesting box. Her eyes were bright and she was alert. I put her on the grass and she started to peck the grass but was unable to stand. The others started to bully her. I checked her vent and got a nice handful of poo . I gave her the poultry tonic and checked her crop. Now this is where I am not sure what I am looking for but I think it was empty. I popped her back in the nesting box and tried her with food and she was hungry. By this time it was getting dark and the other three wanted to go to bed so I popped her in a cat basked in the shed in case the other bullied her in the night. I have grit and oyster shells available at all time but I think she may have a calcium deficiency from what I have read on this site. What do you all think. I have ordered limestone flour from ebay but I won't get that until about Wednesday at a guess. Do you have other advice as to what I can give her and my diagnosis? Thank you Omleteers in advance. Edited November 13, 2010 by Guest Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
percy049 Posted November 13, 2010 Share Posted November 13, 2010 If she cant stand up or move, i think you should take her to the vets Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Christian Posted November 13, 2010 Share Posted November 13, 2010 Is she fluffed up on the nest? Possibly broody? Have a look at the basic health check here - viewtopic.php?f=41&t=63422 If you are concerned then a trip to the vet might be in order. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chicken shack Posted November 14, 2010 Author Share Posted November 14, 2010 I put her in a cat basket last night and there was no change this morning. I put the cat basket on the grass and placed food and water just out side, she is eating and looks bright. I will phone the vets tomorrow if she is not up and about. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jill the potter Posted November 14, 2010 Share Posted November 14, 2010 They are a worry aren't they? I would make sure she is drinking until you can get her to the vets as they dehydrate quickly. Hope she gets better soon. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chicken shack Posted November 15, 2010 Author Share Posted November 15, 2010 I took Daisy to the vets today and she was given an antibiotic and calcium injection. I have to take her back on Wednesday. She hasn't eaten anything today so I hope she will eat tomorrow. I have put her in the back bedroom where it is quiet and warm. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted November 15, 2010 Share Posted November 15, 2010 Did the vet give you a clue about what it was? Hope she picks up Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
migsy Posted November 15, 2010 Share Posted November 15, 2010 I had a chicken like that. She was eating and alert but she could hardly walk and sat down most of the time. Her toes curled if you tried to stand her up. The vet said that she might have Mareks. She also said that Vitamin B deficiency can cause those symptoms but she ate only pellets. My vet said that antibiotics would not do any good. Whatever it was she was very ill and I had her PTS. Has Daisy been vaccinated? How old is she? Hope it works out. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chicken shack Posted November 15, 2010 Author Share Posted November 15, 2010 Daisy has been vacinated. She appears week, wings down. Without extensive blood tests and loads of dosh it a bit of a guessing game. I think she has been laying softies. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
migsy Posted November 15, 2010 Share Posted November 15, 2010 Oh dear. The vet offered me tests costing £150 but of course there is no guarantee of a good outcome. Sending you lots of positive Omlet vibes. Let us know what happens. x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chortle Chook Posted November 15, 2010 Share Posted November 15, 2010 I did read in a book recently (annoyingly I can't remember which one as I've read quite a few) about a man who had a hen that couldn't stand. It was a fascinating story. He kept her beside him in a box with straw in his summer house cum study and fed her meal worms and other treats for quite a number of days before she suddenly decided to stand and walk. I have my fingers crossed for you and your little girl. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
alet_chicken Posted November 15, 2010 Share Posted November 15, 2010 Chicken shack, keeping fingers crossed for a good outcome. Let us know what happens. Cheaky Chook: Was it "Hen and the art of chicken maintenance" by any chance? In it, a chicken (described by the author as dyspraxic) collapses one day, and after weeks he teaches her to walk again. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted November 15, 2010 Share Posted November 15, 2010 This sounds like my Chirp, turns out she had a calcium deficiency, she had been broody, would not snap out of it! This depletes the calcium reserves! I took her to the vet, they were not sure what it was, but gave her antibiotics and a painkiller - to cover all bases really. Thye showed me how to syringe water and food into her crop and after a couple of days she was back to normal. I add Limestone powder to their food and made sure I upped it a bit until she was better! I hope she improves! xxx Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chortle Chook Posted November 15, 2010 Share Posted November 15, 2010 Chicken shack, keeping fingers crossed for a good outcome. Let us know what happens. Cheaky Chook: Was it "Hen and the art of chicken maintenance" by any chance? In it, a chicken (described by the author as dyspraxic) collapses one day, and after weeks he teaches her to walk again. Yes that was it. It was such a wonderful story and she lived for ages afterwards too. A good source of calcium is cooked egg shell. You can put egg shells in the oven for a bit then break them up into little bits. They seem to quite like this too. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chicken shack Posted November 15, 2010 Author Share Posted November 15, 2010 Ordered limestone flour Sunday and have started to cook and crush the egg shells. I hope it is calcium deficiency and she recovers. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chortle Chook Posted November 16, 2010 Share Posted November 16, 2010 Do keep us up to date with any progres won't you. I have my fingers crossed Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chicken shack Posted November 16, 2010 Author Share Posted November 16, 2010 I have syringed water into her beak today and she has eaten a little while on my lap. How did you syringe the food. Recipe please? I am at work all day tomorrow so will have to do it before I leave. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chortle Chook Posted November 16, 2010 Share Posted November 16, 2010 Is she not eating at all even when you put a dish by her side? Alas that does not look good Sometimes it helps to put a little sugar in the water to give a bit of added energy. I have done this for all sorts of animals and the vet has always said this is good. Also have you considered giving her raw egg beaten up and syringed in? After all that is the food of baby chicks. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted November 16, 2010 Share Posted November 16, 2010 I've soaked pellets in warm water. You can buy Critical Care formula which can be a life saver http://www.bestpetpharmacy.co.uk/detailed_product.asp?id=69246 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
migsy Posted November 17, 2010 Share Posted November 17, 2010 Any news? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chicken shack Posted November 17, 2010 Author Share Posted November 17, 2010 Have ordered critcal care. I syringed water this morning and she took a little food. OH gave her some meal worms but there is no change . A visit to the vets tonight. I am at work at the moment but will hand feed her when I get home. When do you call it a day? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
coco Posted November 17, 2010 Share Posted November 17, 2010 I had given Coco food and water by syringe the day I took her to have her PTS. she was so weak she could just about stand up. See what your vet advises, at the end of the day you have to do what you think is best for Daisy. hope the vet can do somethng for her. Keeping my fingers crossed for you and Daisy. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Powerlady Posted November 17, 2010 Share Posted November 17, 2010 Fingers crossed for you.. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jill the potter Posted November 17, 2010 Share Posted November 17, 2010 Fingers crossed for you.. and toes crossed here. Go with what the vet advises. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted November 17, 2010 Share Posted November 17, 2010 Thinking of you. Gut feeling will tell you when to call it a day, don't let her suffer. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...