Lavenders_Blue Posted November 29, 2010 Share Posted November 29, 2010 (edited) I have noticed some unusual poos in the coop and run, which have appeared in about the last week. The poos are normal except for the fact that the urates are yellow instead of white. I believe this might be an indicator of liver/kidney disease? I wonder if anyone has the details for me to send a sample to Retford for testing (and an idea of how much it might cost?). The clever bit will be working out which hen it is that is producing these poos as I have never actually seen which hen it is. Edited December 6, 2010 by Guest Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Patricia W Posted November 30, 2010 Share Posted November 30, 2010 Sandyhasthreechooks is the expert here I think. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lavenders_Blue Posted November 30, 2010 Author Share Posted November 30, 2010 Thanks Patricia. I actually think it's going to be a trip to the vets tomorrow now. I have now worked out that it is Lottie who has been leaving these droppings. She has been looking hunched and miserable for a few days now (as do my other moulting hens so just assumed moulting making her feel poorly) but today I have noticed her comb has turned purple. If she makes it through the night I will take her to the vets tomorrow. It sounds like there is something very wrong and she is so miserable it might be kinder to let her go. On the plus side, I made some pellet porridge with added tuna to try and perk her up a bit earlier, and she took a swipe at one of the other hens to shoo her away from HER porridge so she's not going without a fight. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sandyhas3chucks Posted November 30, 2010 Share Posted November 30, 2010 http://www.thepoultrysite.com/directory/1/uk-and-ireland/41/veterinary-practices-and-consultants/1577/retford-poultry-partnership approx £28 including a worm count. Meds??? approx £14 for 8 girls depending on what is required. Guaranteed next day delivery £4--£5 Some anti b's from your own vet may fix her or help till you get results, depending on what your vet finds. Personally I would keep her indoors in the warm, try and feed her up a bit too, this cold is VERY draining on their resources if they are moulting and also therefore more likely to go down with something too! Hope this helps. Good luck with the vet. Keep us posted! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lavenders_Blue Posted December 3, 2010 Author Share Posted December 3, 2010 Quick update - no poo sample sent and no trip to the vet. She must have heard me say 'put to sleep' The next day, after my original post, I got up honestly expecting her not to have made it through the night. Well, was I wrong. She greeted me with a sharp peck to the hand (much more like normal) so more pellet porridge and tuna treats were dished out. Comb much less purple and yellow poos nearly gone. Now, three days on, she is still a bit hunched but her comb is back to normal, no yellow urates in her droppings and she is squaring up the the others and reasserting her authority like "Ooops, word censored!"ody's business She is the top hen and doesn't like the others to forget it! I have no idea if there was something actually medically wrong with her or if she was just very cold, but I'll keep the medicinal treats going for a few days yet as it seems to be doing the trick. On the other hand, the ex batts are tough as old boots and can't quite see what all the fuss is about - they are loving the extra treats though! Thanks for the help everyone. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sandyhas3chucks Posted December 3, 2010 Share Posted December 3, 2010 you know what though? you still do not know what IS wrong? She is still hunched which is not right.??? HOWEVER it does sound like a good improvement, I would just like to know why she is still hunched. good luck, fingers crossed and keep us updated. (is she laying, when last? might be a lash on the way???) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted December 3, 2010 Share Posted December 3, 2010 You know when Pigeon is hunched and doing yellow urates it's often followed by a soft egg within a day then she's fine. Do you think your girl could have a soft egg coming. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lavenders_Blue Posted December 6, 2010 Author Share Posted December 6, 2010 Well Lottie went to see the vet this afternoon and sadly had to be PTS. She was crop bound, which in itself wasn't really the problem, but the vet had a good rummage around and said he suspected that there was a tumour in her abdomen squeezing on the crop making it difficult for food to pass through and therefore resulting in her being crop bound. He offered to try and flush the crop through, but given his diagnosis and the fact that she looked so miserable I did what I thought was the kind thing and let her go. It would only have built up again resulting in her needing more treatment. Shed a few tears earlier but know I have done the right thing (just should have taken her sooner ). Fly high Lottie xxxxxxxxxx Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted December 6, 2010 Share Posted December 6, 2010 Sorry to hear it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted December 6, 2010 Share Posted December 6, 2010 How sad . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted December 6, 2010 Share Posted December 6, 2010 So sorry x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
cathybc Posted December 6, 2010 Share Posted December 6, 2010 so sorry - ypu did what you thought was right x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...