hotchick

I think a rat has bitten my chicken

I regularly let my chickens roam in the garden but for the last couple of days I have seen a rather brazen rat chilling like he owns the joint.

Today I popped out and my mum called to say Rochelle was bleeding so I dashed home. My dad said that Lucky, her pen pal, was seen chasing after the rat. Rochelle's chest was covered in blood and I thought the worst. I quickly cleaned her up and couldn't find the wound so dried her up and put some iodine on her feathers. I assumed she had tried to attack the rat and had its blood on her. Sadly, this no longer seems to be the case. She is still bleeding, albeit lightly, and after I cleaned her up, I popped them both back in the run. She went more or less straight into the egloo (she has never gone in at 2.30pm) and Lucky wasn't far behind. Worried sick, I've scoured the forum and have learnt that rats do attacks chickens (yet another reason why I wish I owned a pellet gun) and that if a chicken is bleeding she will peck herself for the blood and worse, she will be pecked by others. Lucky has already turned into vampire-chicken and is 'cleaning' Rochelle and I am in bits. What should I do? I don't want to wake up in the morning to find Rochelle pecked to bits.

Should I separate her from Lucky tonight? (there are only the two of them)

Do I need to put Rochelle down, in light of what I'm assuming is a rat bite?

If she recovers, will her eggs be ok? (she's not laying at the moment but have put this down as seasonal)

I can't see a break in the skin, and I have checked her over three times. Could she just be bleeding from her pores - has anyone had any experience of this?

I'm really clutching at straws here and am so worried I feel sick.

Any advice appreciated. x

Just to say, sorry, it sounds horrendous. I am afraid I am still new to chickens so do not really have any advice based on experience, but I think if it were me I would separate them just for tonight to be on the safe side. It might mean a trip to the vets for tomorrow if bleeding hasnt stopped. Good luck and hope everything works out. jane.

You must separate the injured hen as you suspect, the other one will be compelled to peck otherwise

A box indoors overnight would be best for the shock

Clean up the wouund with some antiseptic

Apply pressure to the wound with a clean cloth, flour will stop the bleeding, a bandage is ok to stop the bleeding but take it off once it stops as air will need to get to the wound to dry it out

Spray the wound with gentian violet spray ('purple' spray) which you can get from horsey shops, blue food colouring is ok if you cant get hold of the spray but the purple spray has antiseptic properties

As long as the wound isnt deep, the bleeding has stopped and the wound is covered with purple spray then she can go back with her pen mate in a couple of days time, she will be ok in a box, a hutch or dog cage till then as long she gets food and water

If the wound is deep get her to the vets for some antibiotics

As long as she recovers ok she will start to lay again and the eggs will be fine

Sorry to hear about your problem. I have nothing to add to the excellent advice you have been given, but wanted to say that One of my bantams was badly bitten by a rat last year, on her crop and tummy, and lived to tell the tale. I separated her from the others and cleaned up her wounds, took her to the vet who gave her 10 days worth of antibiotics and said that she probably wouldnt survive! Thankfully, she is absolutely fine and I hope that your girl will be ok too. Good luck!

Since my teary-eyed post on Sunday afternoon, touch wood, all seems to be well.

I kept Rochelle inside on Sunday night. When I brought her in although she'd stopped bleeding there was a lot of dried blood. I cleaned her up as best as I could and loosely wrapped a bandage around the wound. In the morning poor ol' Lucky was looking withdrawn so I reunited the two. As soon as Rochelle was back in the run I could see she was very distressed, as the bandage was still on (I'd chosen not to remove it incase Lucky got inquisitive and reopened the wound). So I took it off and watched for a bit before I went to work. Rochelle started grooming herself and I became worried that she may reopen the wound but thankfully she didn't.

This morning everything seemed more or less ok. Winter is a bit of a "Ooops, word censored!" as I don't get in until after they've gone to bed so my obs time is limited to the morning but things seem positive. All I need now is for her to begin laying again - although my mum swears blind she'll not be touching her eggs as they'll be infected. Mums eh?!

My advice to others is if you spot a rat take the same precautions as you would for a fox and keep your chickens safe. Although I can't be sure that she was bitten by a rat it seems the most plausible answer to her injury - if they can infiltrate Downing Street my garden is like open house. Needless to say, pest control have been called.

Hey,

I registered to simply answer to this thread because I've dealt with a similar rat problem in my garden. Rat bites are very dangerous and are often the leading cause for transmission of rat bite fever.

When an animal has the bacteria it can transmit it on other organisms, including people without direct contact such as scratch or bite. Simply holding and interacting with an animal that is a carrier of the bacteria may lead to you getting the rat bite fever as well. Symptoms are similar to these of flu and should not be ignored as it may be fatal if not treated on time with antibiotics.

You can read more on rat bite fever here: https://www.pantherpestcontrol.co.uk/rat-control/rat-bites/

One of the best solutions to your problem is a terrier dog which is trained to put rats down, it will protect your chickens 24/7 if trained and carried properly.

Don't hesitate to call the vet whenever you have a hesitation if an animal was bitten by a rat - it's not worth taking the risk of getting the rat bite fever. A kid died because of it after buying a pet rat which was carrier of the bacteria. You can read more here - https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jury-sides-with-petco-after-boy-dies-from-rat-bite-fever/