sari

Broody hen, or natural behaviour?

My Cream Legbar has just come into lay. We've had 4 eggs in a fortnight.....Today, I had a protracted spring clean in the WIR, and spent an hour and a half in there, in the morning, when normally I spend my hen time in the afternoon. I thought the CL was going to lay as she was really noisy and seemed to be complaining that I'd taken her house to bits and was washing it. When I put the base back, and started to Aubiose and DE it, she kept going in and coming out again...then scratched about in the nest box for ages, which they all do anyway, and kicked all the Aubiose out...She then sat down and fluffed up for about half an hour......I turfed her out and she stayed out. When I cleaned the nest box earlier I found some herb stems and bits of dried cabbage leaves in the nest box :( So is Gertie going broody, or is this just natural behaviour I've not observed before, because I'm normally at work at this time of day!

Sorry for the ramble....I wanted to get all the info down, so you merry Omleteers can advise me. I've read the sticky on Broody hens... :roll:

She was out i the run today...so perhaps I was doing the newbie panic... :mrgreen: This has led to a rather frank discussion with my YD, aged 9, who thought hatching chicks would be nice, until we talked about unwanted boys...and how lots end up being dispatched at a day old....she keeps looking quite sternly at me now. She didn't drink milk for weeks when the storyline about Bull calves going for slaughter was being played out on the Archers.... :(