chicken bark Posted February 23, 2011 Share Posted February 23, 2011 (edited) For about a week now Ruby has been off colour. She started off hunched and keeping herself from the others. After a few days of watching her and tempting her with treats (and a bit of yoghurt) I took her to the vet. My vet was fantastic and gave her antibiotics a worming/mite treatment (just in case). My vet also spent a lot of time explaining to me things about hens which was invaluable to experience 'hands on'. That was last Friday. Sadly she is not recovering. She is not drinking and the only thing she will eat is banana - which I put some of in her water to tempt her to drink. So at 5pm today I have another vets appointment. They will check she really is worse and then she will be PTS so they can do a PM and find out what is wrong in case my other hens are at risk. I'm concerned that one or two of the others are not as bright as they should be whilst most of my hens look as though they are thriving. It is a very sad day and she will be the first hen I've lost. Edited February 24, 2011 by Guest Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Daphne Posted February 23, 2011 Share Posted February 23, 2011 I'm very sorry to hear it Its never easy; sending you courage for later if you need it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
oneyolktoanother Posted February 23, 2011 Share Posted February 23, 2011 so sorry to hear this, thinking of you Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted February 23, 2011 Share Posted February 23, 2011 So sorry but best to have the courage to end it now rather than continue to let her deteriorate. Hope they can identify what is wrong and the others pick up. Hugs, its hard. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Henslaved Posted February 23, 2011 Share Posted February 23, 2011 Very sorry to hear this , I know how hard it is. Sending hugs xx Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chicken bark Posted February 23, 2011 Author Share Posted February 23, 2011 So sorry but best to have the courage to end it now rather than continue to let her deteriorate. Hope they can identify what is wrong and the others pick up. Hugs, its hard. I agree with you Plum alas when they offered me an alternative I took it. They are going to give her an antibiotic jab for the next three days and see if she improves. The vet felt she still had a fiesty look about her (even though she is just skin and bone literally) and thought it was worth a try. I feel as though I'm on an emotional roller coaster but will grin and bear it if they think she can get better. Thank you all for your support. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
coco Posted February 23, 2011 Share Posted February 23, 2011 Hope she picks up for you, I know how worrying it has having a poorly chook. My vet told me to syringe stage 1 baby food into Coco when she was poorly, he said its high in protein. Very messy though. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted February 23, 2011 Share Posted February 23, 2011 Perhaps the antibiotics will work but you will need to keep her hydrated and as coco say syringing fluid in will help. Fluids are more important than food but if she is skin and bones already I really think you have a tough job on your hands. Good luck it is so much harder when you invest so much in them. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
oneyolktoanother Posted February 23, 2011 Share Posted February 23, 2011 it's never nice to see your pets suffering, but it takes guts to the decent thing but it takes a lot of heart to fight for their lives, thinking of you, we know it's hard as we all go through these hard times Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chicken bark Posted February 23, 2011 Author Share Posted February 23, 2011 Thanks everyone. Tomorrow I'm going to make her a breakfast of yoghurt, mealworms and any slugs and worms I can find. I'm also going to try a different drinker or two to see if there is one she will go for more than another. I'll try anything at this stage. Just for confirmation - if you are looking straight at a hen when you open her mouth if the food hole the one in front? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chicken bark Posted February 24, 2011 Author Share Posted February 24, 2011 She was PTS this evening. She was still losing weight. She also still had a fiesty look at the end. At least it is over now and had a good last day asleep in the sunshine. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted February 24, 2011 Share Posted February 24, 2011 So sorry . comfort for you that she had a day in sun. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
oneyolktoanother Posted February 24, 2011 Share Posted February 24, 2011 so sorry to hear this Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Eggasperated Posted February 24, 2011 Share Posted February 24, 2011 Sorry to hear this - thinking of you. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
scarlettohara Posted February 24, 2011 Share Posted February 24, 2011 Sorry Chicken Bark Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
coco Posted February 24, 2011 Share Posted February 24, 2011 So sorry, you did your best for her. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Henslaved Posted February 24, 2011 Share Posted February 24, 2011 I'm sorry , you did your best for her. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Daphne Posted February 25, 2011 Share Posted February 25, 2011 I'm sorry too but you did everything you could Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...