Cheeky Chicken

Rabbits & Eglu

I managed to be lucky enough to pick up a second hand Rabbit Eglu and Run at a reasonable price.

My rabbits don't seem to like it though, they spend all of their time in the run even in the pouring rain :(

I've never had the rabbits in a hutch and run combo, I've always had the standard wooden hutch and a run to put them in on the grass.

Is this normal behaviour for rabbits kept in an eglu or hutch and run combo?

Thanks

Hi there! Mine did that for a month or two when we first got the eglu and run. I'm not sure what the rablu is like but what I did was take the whole top of the eglu off its base and my buns were so inquisitive that they came to investigate. I laid the shell of the eglu on the lawn and they made a game of running under it. Then I put the eglu shell back on its base with the lid off so that they could continue to hop in and out at their will. It worked and now they will go in and out of it without a problem. I never shut the door between the eglu and the run though.

Thanks for that, I'll try that with them when it stops raining.

I've never closed the door on them either, although it's 2 dwarf rabbits I have I still feel that locking them in the eglu would be incredibly creul as it is a rather small space. To be honest I'm still not convinced about it and only bought it for the hygine side of it, as there comes a point with wood hutches that no matter how much you clean it, it never gets really clean. It works out cheaper in the long run to buy the Eglu and run that replace the hutch and run every couple of years.

I gave up on my rablu. the fact that they only used it as (very expensive) toilet was one reason :( ; I also didnt like the hayrack/water being so close to the tray where they pooed.

mine always slept outside, and like you I wouldnt close the door on space grounds (however, someone on here did have a rabbit hurt by a fox because they didnt close the door...)

in practical terms, we also found it a bit of a hassle - my daughter likes to get in the run with her rabbits, and even tho she's only 11 (coming 12) it's a tight space!

so we're going back to wood, this time with a low-height WIR attached, and hoping that will solve the problem.

sorry eglu, love the cube and the classic for chooks - but not for bunnies!

Mine don't seem to poo in the Eglu at all, in fact I think the only time they go in it is to eat and drink :roll:

I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy another wood hutch and run, maybe one of the tall ones with the run under it so they at least have shelter in the rain.

What do I do with a 3rd hand Eglu though?

This might sound odd but my bunnies prefer it set up as an Elgu, I've taken the roosting bars out and they

use it as a litter big tray and the hay goes in what would have been the nest area. They do get evicted if

i have a poorly chook though :lol:

They are house rabbits but they do go outside in the summer time during the day.

Ha ha! Rabbits really are their own 'people' :? aren't they. THEY decide where their loo will be and there's not much we can do about it.

My old Rosie Rabbit who we lost last week, decided that she would go to the toilet on our front door mat and hence forth that is where her litter tray had to be - not at all convenient :roll:

Hi Cheeky,

If you are thinking of selling your rabbit eglu, I would be interested. Can you tell me which part of the country you are in?

West Cental Scotland, near Glasgow.

I cleaned it all out yesterday with hot soapy water and gave it a good scrub with a brush and it looks really good now. :D