I've looked up the what I think is the most recent wildlife and countryside act. I wouldn't want to break the law

And certainly wouldn't release any rats near houses. We are lucky that there are several areas around well away from homes or other buildings

Here's what I have found. If there is something more recent please let me know

Under the WCA there is no prohibition on the release of other species of rats or mice which are ordinarily resident in GB. For example, the view of the Department for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) is that the release of brown/common rats (Rattus norvegicus) into the wild is not unlawful under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 because, despite their non-native origins, they could be classed as 'ordinarily resident' in Great Britain as they are now well-established. However, this is not to say that it is acceptable or permissible to release them on other people’s property.

Regarding your second link, I thought L"Ooops, word censored!"n traps were illegal but sadly they are not. A nasty cruel way to deal with corvids. I have two rookeries near me;one 20 yards away from the cube and the other maybe 200 yards. There are jackdaws nesting in the neighbours garden and a magpie nest at the bottom of mine and I have never seen the food taken by any of these. The bird table is another matter but I let them have their early morning feed then they are chased away.