We appear to have some unwelcome visitors visiting our back garden ................ rats! Our cat has proudly brought in 3 young ones which has totally freaked us out! I've ordered some ERADIBAIT because, on closer examination, my husband has discovered 2 'holes' which we're assuming our their entrances/exits. Obviously, with dogs, a cat and children we need to be so careful about how we solve this problem - but what do you think?

I assume you're bringing the chook's food in at night? It may be worth taking it up earlier in the afternoon too to let the chickens clear the ground. I think poison is the way to go with rats just my opinion. Or traps but obviously be careful with pets or little ones around. You'll clear the rats up in no time especially with the cat helping out :lol:

If you cat is already bringing in the babies, then you must be very careful. I work in conservation and my take on things is that rat poison is never a good thing. If unlucky, it goes into another wild (or domestic) animal and kills them too - including birds of prey. But ultimately, it goes into the eco-system. It also takes 1-5 days for an animal to die.

There is an alternative. Firstly, you flood the tunnels and then block them up. They will vacate another way. Leave no food or even bits of food around at night. A live trap is very effective, baited with peanut butter and/or chocolate. But then you will have to either release them (in a wood away from houses. preferably) or kill them.

We have had a problem but with a live trap we caught the whole family and broke the cycle. They breed quickly and so you do need to act quite decisively.

Thanks for the prompt replies. Two different opinions - equally valid. The reason we opted to try the Eradibait was that it stressed it did not harm other creatures/children and was safe to use in parks/schools etc. Yes, we are removing the chooks' food in the evening but it doesn't seem to have stopped the visitations!! I'll think carefully about our options..................

we have a bait box, although no poison at the minute as I don't think we have a problem :pray:

I am a biologist and know about poisons getting into the food chain and bioaccumulation but it's only a real problem if something else eats the bait (a bait box helps) or something eats the dead mouse/ rat. These animals tend to go back to their nests to die so only usually get eaten by their own kind. So this doesn't really bother me.

I found Eradibat was totally useless... they weren't interested in eating it at all and eventually went soggy. I had much better results with Neosorexa Gold and Tomcat both in block form - they go on the little rods in the bait box so they can't carry it off and leave for other animals to find.

I'm pretty sure that other wildlife is safe (or I assume so judging by how many Tawny Owls we have every night!) with this solution.

I don't like snap traps as unless they are safely under cover you WILL catch robins! They are just too nosy.

I don't like snap traps as unless they are safely under cover you WILL catch robins! They are just too nosy.

You can get snap traps in covered boxes, so robin's can't get in. Have to say - I didn't have any luck with it, but they are available.

Had a lot more luck with poison though - again, one that is supposed to be friendly to any predator eating the dead/dying poisoned rodent, and using bait boxes so only rodents ate the poison.

Just a quick note on Live traps.

We use one to keep our mouse population in check, store them carefully.

We had left ours in the greenhouse over winter a few years back and caught a few (unintentionally), unfortunately they didnt end up being quite so humanely dealt with as we were intending.

Hi everyone. Watched a family of rats running from our compost heap in and out of wir last night.. I do lift the foodin at night... Took it in earlier last night! I just wanted to know if we use a live trap how many traps do we need to catch them all.. I've seen at leat 3! Getting traps today!

Thanks jos x

Just a quick note on Live traps.

We use one to keep our mouse population in check, store them carefully.

We had left ours in the greenhouse over winter a few years back and caught a few (unintentionally), unfortunately they didnt end up being quite so humanely dealt with as we were intending.

Good point. Mice particularly don't last long without food and particularly water.

Lol I think the neighbours would have something to say if I shot them..

I got one trap in the end as it was £17.99! Got it set with peanut butter. It must be smelly as all the hens poked their head through the netting trying to get at it and both dogs went straight to it lol. I could do with a jack Russell.. my two big vizslas just sit and look at them .. Stupid dogs :)

xxxx

Just wondering what are you proposing doing with them if you catch them in a live trap? You can't let them out nearby as they'll just come back and releasing them elsewhere is just moving the problem onto someone else... I'm fairly sure I've read that it's illegal to release rats into the wild once caught so it will need humanely dispatching.